• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AR PET (hardcoated PET film) exterior longevity and PET laminate uses

John Blazy

Dr Dichro
I've developed some laserable / engraveable laminates using PET with colored or clear interlayers as spinoff technology from glass laminating, and finding some interesting properties to them, like thermal expansion being half that of other plastics.
I am new the whole signage industry, but have sold some panels for unique signage, and my exterior physical test samples are holding up well with no visual delam, chalking or other issues after three years.

The most common layup is clear 5 to ten mil AR (Abrasion Resistant Mylar film) PET + .015 to .090" clear "laminating resin" + colored or colorless film core in PET with or without solid color / metallized PET backing. The AR PET being quite convenient and utilitarian, as it takes a lot to scratch it, and cleans with any solvent regardless the residue. Some successful core layers have included carbon fiber and Kevlar fiber. Currently, I use dichroic core PET film layers, but colorless or brushed metallized PET appears to have promise.

Curious if you signmakers use hardcoated products in exterior situations and the longevity of such products. Like AR acrylic, vinyl, PET, etc.

So basically, I believe I have found a solution to a problem, but I have no idea what the problem is, if at all.

Especially regarding cost. I may have a novel laminate, but if there are products at half my cost that perform nearly just as good, why pursue this laminate. The only real advantage is the laminates ability to be molded into 3D shapes and textures. Interlaminar adhesion is outstanding - incredibly difficult to delaminate it, and it survives high speed feeds through a tablesaw without delam, although its designed to be lasered.

The primary use of this laminate is to provide texture onto my unique architectural glass and acrylic sheet products, so I currently have a small, but proven market for my own product line but curious if there exists another, larger market.

Thoughts and criticism welcome.

3MLogo-Reflec-noTxt.JPG

VergeWv-Grn-MPET-clsp.JPG
Dune-silverBoro-med-1280.JPG

PFire-WideShot-1280.JPG

PhoneCovers-lasercutting.JPG