• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

are all dongles equal

adkmaid

i might have found a dongle from someone that had signlab ? but had computer crash and cant find disk....will another signlab dongle work with my signlab or are they specific to each program license???

iSign

are you a registered owner of the program?

...or you hope to get this other persons copy working since you "might have found a dongle"?

If you have your own copy, but can't find the disc... you lost your dongle too?

I'm just curious. I paid around $2000 for Signlab 7 (or was it 8?) about 5 years ago, and had one employee who said he was really up to speed on that program, to where I thought it would be a worthwhile investment... but then he learned Flexi and it never got used...

..then as money got tight, I decided to see if I could sell it... and now I can't find the dongle... just the box, documentation & disc... I'm still hoping to find it, but also curious what you learn in this thread

adkmaid

hey how are you? i am glad i wasnt the only one that lost a dongle hahahahaa did you look in the back of the computer attached to the serial cord? I am licensed copy owner of signlab 8 but i am still dongless! so it dont work. wondering if another signlab dongle will work.

adkmaid

hey if you find your dongle see if it is with mine will ya. hope you didnt have one of those little purple usb dongles they hide anywhere.

schmitty

There is a license file that is tied to your specific dongle. The license file also enables/disables certain modules.

Good Luck!

Edserv

Dongles, passwords, and registration, & "extra passwords" got my shorts in a bunch this week. While purchasing a 2nd copy of Flexi Pro, I spent at least 5 hours getting all the registration/passwords/fonts/settings, etc set-up.

As a sign-shop owner, I think I spend more stress on just getting this stuff to work. It's not easy. I've "cloned" and "backed-up" my servers and stations, but when you introduce new software or hardware, you're on a nicotine-based-stress-level-induced nightmare.
I wish one of these companies would make it easier (with the money we spend to buy their products) to make installation and back-up easier. Much easier.

adkmaid

i think it is all a test of our sanity. i dont know what version the dongle is....geez i am gonna wind up buying the whole damn thing again damn damn damn. Life was so much easier with a paint box and a hand drawn idea. Well guess i am still looking for a used signlab program i guess with a damn dongle and you watch as soon as i buy this....I will find the one i lost.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

The Equipment Guy

I believe in attaching dongles to really big pieces of wood...lost dongles are a pia. I just had a new Gerber Dongle disappear...just a mystery.

Broken dongles can sometimes be replaced for a small fee by the manufacturer, but lost makes you kind of out of luck.

If you have somebody who might sell you a dongle, you better have them check out transferring the license, although in your case if you have a license and a mismatched dongle, sometimes you can get some help...It becomes like a damage replacement.

Craig

If I remember right, the license file for Signlab is on a second disc. You install the software, plug in the dongle and then put the license file in a specific folder on your computer.

So it IS tied to the software/dongle, unless you have the license file for that dongle.

I have not installed/used Signlab in YEARS, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

OldPaint

this is one of the biggest reasons...........I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL COREL USER!!!!! NO DONGLE!!!! i had one program with a dongle. ARTS & LETTERS 7.0!!!! NEVER AGAIN!!!
this was back on my old 386DX40!!!! i got a copy of corel 3..........bout the same time.
did some research and ROLANDS use HPGL and corel outputs it perfectly. match made in heaven. i have 3 computers, corel X3 on all of em. i can work on any one, hook it to the cutter and CUT!!!! just that simple.

adkmaid

old paint you got the right idea. But i have almost 25 years of boat lettering signlab files that are stuck in .cdl mode and there isnt another program out there that will open them that i know of and i need all of those files because I letter wooden boats and when they are stripped and revarnished the customers want the exact same thing on the back of the boat. believe me i am saving everything in .eps now from a variety of other programs.:clapping:

rcook99

Jet Fast Printing
College Junior Join Date: Sep 2009

If I remember right, the license file for Signlab is on a second disc.

Actually when I upgraded my Signlab to 8 P&C they sent me the disk and dongle (because I had a serial dongle and wanted to update it) to load the program but them emailed me the license files. So I have them saved on disk and a few other places. Once I received them I just dragged and dropped them onto the SL canvas.

OldPaint

you can export all of the cdl files as EPS, or AI...... from signlab to corel or just a disk for safe keeping.