Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all General Formulations Vinyls all becoming incompatible with Latex?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by dypinc, Aug 2, 2019.

1. dypinc

dypinc Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    I used to never have any problems with General Formulations. A couple new rolls of 201OAP were bad and now rolls that have been here maybe six months to a year, 201OAPAE and 201HTAP are full of small dots like plasticizer migration also. I did print a bunch of 201 yesterday and didn't noticed any problems with it.

What have others been seeing?

Not sure I can trust General Formulations any longer. Might have to go back to Brightline or move to Orajet or Avery.

Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am pretty certain Briteline is actually just General Formulations rebranded...so that won't help you. We use 201 OAP as our house vinyl here (Mutoh Eco Solvent) and haven't seen any liner issues like you are, so it's likely a heat issue with the latex I am guessing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    Not a heat liner issue. It is a plasticizer issue. And I am pretty sure you would not see it with Mutoh Eco Solvent.

Unless somehow I have lost the OP head but probably not as the area that has been heated when curing the end of a job does not show it when stating a new job.

4. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    I don't think Briteline is just General Formulations rebranded I have never been able confirm that. I have used both and it does not look the same and the cores are different. And, Grimco says no.

5. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I was always under the impression that Kapco made Briteline.... or was it Ritrama...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    A GF rep told me that most of the Briteline products are GF vinyl, even the numbering in the name is similar 201 etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    I hope not but I guess we will find out. I had a couple bad rolls, one right after the other (different serial # though) of 201OAE a while back then went to BL2201G and have not had the same problems. I am pretty sure they are not the same. The gray adhesive is different. And GF201 is not the same as BL2201. Not sure about BL3201 thought. But so far I have had no trouble with GF201. But something has definatly changed with some General Formulations vinyls in the last two years.

8. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    All at once in the middle of a fairly new roll of 201HTAP. What the H*** is going wrong with General Formulations. I can't trust to buy their products going forward. Since it was just a small job I wiped the next foot or so down with alcohol and it printed fine. Not something I want to have to do on a whole roll.

[​IMG]

9. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    ORAJET® 3164HT, with 83# Liner I assume that is going to be a problem with the Latex Curing heat. Anything else out there that in High Tac in the lower price range like 3164HT or the now unable to use 201HTAP?

10. Christian @ 2CT Media

Christian @ 2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Ij39 prints awesome in the latex

11. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Sure looks blotchy, but what about the graininess ??

If this happened 1/2 way through, do you have pictures of the same roll while printing good ??

12. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    I know, just wish I could find a better price point. I have a lot of customers that want to mount to PVC. I am just not sure I can trust the non High Tac adhesives for that. What is everyones experience with regular vinyls mounted to PVC?

13. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

I printed about 25 rolls of GF on my 315 since beginning of Sept with no issues. is there something wrong with your optimizer maybe?

14. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    It is plasticizer migration. A alcohol wipe of the area and reprint looks fine. I am done with with General Formulations and there crap vinyl. They used to be good but no more.

15. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    Not likely as other stuff prints fine. So far I haven't had any troubles with 201 but everything else has gone to crap and I really can't trust them enough to order any more of their vinyl.

16. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    Same vinyl after an alcohol wipe.

[​IMG]

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  17. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I just looked it up. That's some really cheap stuff.... and I'm not talking about the price. 3 year, 4.3mil thick and just not a good product all around. For about $20 a roll more, you can get 3M stuff which is far better in every aspect and then some. If your customers.... or you can't afford 3¢ or 4¢ a square foot more, something is dangerously wrong..... and for a far better product.

18. dypinc

Mar 9, 2011
    CCPUSA
    You mean $130.00 a roll more for 3M IJ39. But I think I am going there. I should raise the price as it I am way too busy and losing jobs because of price would probably be a good thing. 201HTAP was used inside for point of purchase type things so durability was not that big a factor.

19. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

Is there a GF guy on this forum, if not what a waste. excellent feedback on their product with no one here to react to it...

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Nope.

You need to negotiate with your vendor, if you have a good standing record with them. IJ35 comply is like $240 a roll, but you can get it down to about $210 if you know how.