• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are all General Formulations Vinyls all becoming incompatible with Latex?

dypinc

I used to never have any problems with General Formulations. A couple new rolls of 201OAP were bad and now rolls that have been here maybe six months to a year, 201OAPAE and 201HTAP are full of small dots like plasticizer migration also. I did print a bunch of 201 yesterday and didn't noticed any problems with it.

What have others been seeing?

Not sure I can trust General Formulations any longer. Might have to go back to Brightline or move to Orajet or Avery.

FatCat

I am pretty certain Briteline is actually just General Formulations rebranded...so that won't help you. We use 201 OAP as our house vinyl here (Mutoh Eco Solvent) and haven't seen any liner issues like you are, so it's likely a heat issue with the latex I am guessing?

dypinc

I am pretty certain Briteline is actually just General Formulations rebranded...so that won't help you. We use 201 OAP as our house vinyl here (Mutoh Eco Solvent) and haven't seen any liner issues like you are, so it's likely a heat issue with the latex I am guessing?

Not a heat liner issue. It is a plasticizer issue. And I am pretty sure you would not see it with Mutoh Eco Solvent.

Unless somehow I have lost the OP head but probably not as the area that has been heated when curing the end of a job does not show it when stating a new job.

dypinc

I don't think Briteline is just General Formulations rebranded I have never been able confirm that. I have used both and it does not look the same and the cores are different. And, Grimco says no.

dypinc

I hope not but I guess we will find out. I had a couple bad rolls, one right after the other (different serial # though) of 201OAE a while back then went to BL2201G and have not had the same problems. I am pretty sure they are not the same. The gray adhesive is different. And GF201 is not the same as BL2201. Not sure about BL3201 thought. But so far I have had no trouble with GF201. But something has definatly changed with some General Formulations vinyls in the last two years.

dypinc

All at once in the middle of a fairly new roll of 201HTAP. What the H*** is going wrong with General Formulations. I can't trust to buy their products going forward. Since it was just a small job I wiped the next foot or so down with alcohol and it printed fine. Not something I want to have to do on a whole roll.

IMG_0533.JPG

dypinc

ORAJET® 3164HT, with 83# Liner I assume that is going to be a problem with the Latex Curing heat. Anything else out there that in High Tac in the lower price range like 3164HT or the now unable to use 201HTAP?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sure looks blotchy, but what about the graininess ??

If this happened 1/2 way through, do you have pictures of the same roll while printing good ??

dypinc

Ij39 prints awesome in the latex

I know, just wish I could find a better price point. I have a lot of customers that want to mount to PVC. I am just not sure I can trust the non High Tac adhesives for that. What is everyones experience with regular vinyls mounted to PVC?

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I printed about 25 rolls of GF on my 315 since beginning of Sept with no issues. is there something wrong with your optimizer maybe?

dypinc

Sure looks blotchy, but what about the graininess ??

If this happened 1/2 way through, do you have pictures of the same roll while printing good ??

It is plasticizer migration. A alcohol wipe of the area and reprint looks fine. I am done with with General Formulations and there crap vinyl. They used to be good but no more.

dypinc

I printed about 25 rolls of GF on my 315 since beginning of Sept with no issues. is there something wrong with your optimizer maybe?

Not likely as other stuff prints fine. So far I haven't had any troubles with 201 but everything else has gone to crap and I really can't trust them enough to order any more of their vinyl.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just looked it up. That's some really cheap stuff.... and I'm not talking about the price. 3 year, 4.3mil thick and just not a good product all around. For about $20 a roll more, you can get 3M stuff which is far better in every aspect and then some. If your customers.... or you can't afford 3¢ or 4¢ a square foot more, something is dangerously wrong..... and for a far better product.

dypinc

You mean $130.00 a roll more for 3M IJ39. But I think I am going there. I should raise the price as it I am way too busy and losing jobs because of price would probably be a good thing. 201HTAP was used inside for point of purchase type things so durability was not that big a factor.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Is there a GF guy on this forum, if not what a waste. excellent feedback on their product with no one here to react to it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope.

You need to negotiate with your vendor, if you have a good standing record with them. IJ35 comply is like $240 a roll, but you can get it down to about $210 if you know how.