• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are all self piercing grommets the same?

gabagoo

This is a little long but it needs to be said as I am so sick of getting shafted...I would never do this to a customer.
...so the story starts....I bought a grommet machine many years ago from a company that sells the grommets. They are not really a sign supply place, but more of a fabric company. In any case I want to buy them from someone else as of now due to the treatment I have been receiving. You see they sell grommets only in sets of male and female which is fine by me, but for whatever reason the last time I was running really low on them I had a huge amount of the female pieces and basically none of the male pieces. Could I have lost that many? NO!!!

I called and asked if they would sell me just the one side and they refused. I asked them then why was it that I had basically about 500 of one side and almost none of the other...they had no answer and I said that I would check around in my shop. I looked basically everywhere....not because they cost so much but more that things like this drive me crazy, and I had the time as the summer was the slowest i had ever encountered. They were no where...nada... I ordered 500 more of each and when I saw the 500 of the female side I knew that it was the exact amount I already had which meant that I had misplaced 500 grommets..or had I?

I used that 500 up pretty fast and realized that I needed about 200 for an order and was leaving on holidays in 2 days. I wanted that order out, and called the company at about 2 pm and ordered another 500 of them and asked if they could be at my place by 9am the next morning. I offered to pay the extra. They said that Purolator offered a 9 am service. At 10:30 the following day there were no grommets. I called them and they told me that because I ordered them after 2pm the order could not go out until the following day. Naturally I told them that I had discussed this with the person the day before and could have had a courier pick them up, but now it was too late. I then told them to ship them out after I had returned from holidays 10 days later. She seemed to understand.
Fast forward to today...ten days later. The box arrived early last week and thankfully one of my neighbours in a different unit accepted them for me.
I opened them up and there are 500 male pieces...no female pieces at all. They are bagged in lots of 100.
I put 2 and 2 together and realize that the reason I have 500 extra females is that they have done this to me before and nobody caught it. I called and told them that I received my order and that I only received the male part and explained to the lady this story and surmized that they can discount the order and not bother sending the other 500 pieces.

She calls me back and says her manager says that I have to accept the other 500 as they only send them out in sets of 2.

I was polite and accepted her answer although considering that they screwed up 3 different ways on this order I should have told them to stuff it and come and get these and buy elsewhere...and I would except I don't know if all self piercing 3/8 grommets are all the same. are they?

Dan360

All I know is that Fasnap #2 grommets don't fit in our Hiker press even though they claim to be the same size as the Hiker #2.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, do you want to interchange your males and another company's females ?? Or do you just want to use an altogether new brand on your machine ??

I don't know about the self-piercing, but I don't think you can with the others, as many times, they will ask, what machine do you have ?? Some work with their own only and others are somewhat less uniform.

SignStudent

Definitely not all the same. I have to make sure to order clipsshop grommets for my grommet machine because when I tried other grommets they didn't work.

gabagoo

I think I am a prisoner....this gromet machine has no name and the bags of grommets have no name...man they got me lol

Ultimate13

Fasnap is right up the street from us so it would be an easy fix. However if I were you, I just send another company a couple grommets to match what you have. Maybe try a couple companies, pretty sure someone would have the same ones.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think I am a prisoner....this gromet machine has no name and the bags of grommets have no name...man they got me lol

Post a photo of the machine and grommets - someone here might know.
We have a generic China brand press that works really well with grommets we get from Gregory in Kansas.
The grommets the local company sells (got the press from them) do not work at all.

wayne k
guam usa

gabagoo

here' s a pic
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
s a pic

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Seems most machines look pretty much the same. Our's is similar.
The grommets we use are from Fasnap.
They have the little nibs on the lock rings, and work much better than the smooth type you posted.
At least for us.

grommets-200h.jpg

HandsomeBob

It looks like a Fasnap aluminum grommet machine.

Best to buy only Fasnap brand grommets.

If the company you are buying grommets from is not giving you good service get you grommets elsewhere. Fellers has the grommets you need.

fresh

To answer your original question.. no, i do not believe all grommets are the same. We always order from Harbor Sales, they are unbranded, and they work great. One day I decided to order from another vendor, again, the grommets were unbranded and they were CRAP. The brass was thinner and they were very flimsy.

gabagoo

Good news!!1 I ordered 500 fasnap grommets and they work and are even interchangeable with my leftovers!! and best of all they are about $28.00 cheaper per 500 lot.... Thanks guys

gabagoo

Just had to tell you.... I called the original company I bought these from and told them that it was now 2 days later and I have not received the other 500 pieces they screwed up on, and that I had ordered 500 from someone else in the same area of the city yesterday and they were here already. I said you can come and pick up your half order, I don't want them anymore. The customer service people are nice people but here is a perfect example of company policy being used unwisely. She says that it is fine and they will send a courier to get them however I will have to pay a restocking charge. I said are you going to charge me the percentage on the entire order or on the 50% you got right? she said the whole order. I said that's fine I won't be paying anyway...Grommets are the only thing I buy from this company..er I mean I used to buy from them :)

papabud

Lone Wolf
sounds like its smarter to cut your losses and just end your relationship with them. make sure you give them a proper google review