• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Are there any trade/wholesale companies who create custom wood signs?

WhatsYourSign?

I'm looking for somebody who makes custom wood signs at wholesale prices.

We need to order an 8x4 wood sign with depth (channels?) and painted.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Does it have to be wood? If you're going to paint it, HDU and PVC are less expensive, last longer, are easier to maintain, and easier to finish. You would need to cut into it with a knife to tell whether it was made of wood or not.

A quick google search will get you all the info you need. I've used CedarWorks, HDU Signs, and New England Carved Signs. They will carve them, paint them better than you can (unless you have a spray booth and an acrylic polyurethane set-up), apply gold leaf if desired, put them in a box and ship them to you for not much more than you could buy the materials for. This is the way to go unless you are like Gepetto living in the woods somewhere, and like the feel of a fine Swiss-made chisel in your calloused hands.

WhatsYourSign?

Does it have to be wood? If you're going to paint it, HDU and PVC are less expensive, last longer, are easier to maintain, and easier to finish. You would need to cut into it with a knife to tell whether it was made of wood or not.

A quick google search will get you all the info you need. I've used CedarWorks, HDU Signs, and New England Carved Signs. They will carve them, paint them better than you can (unless you have a spray booth and an acrylic polyurethane set-up), apply gold leaf if desired, put them in a box and ship them to you for not much more than you could buy the materials for. This is the way to go unless you are like Gepetto living in the woods somewhere, and like the feel of a fine Swiss-made chisel in your calloused hands.

The client requested sustainable materials, so composites may not work. However, if it looks like wood that may be enough.

Thank you!

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The client requested sustainable materials, so composites may not work. However, if it looks like wood that may be enough.

Thank you!
Ask the client whether he would prefer to kill a beautiful old-growth Western Red Cedar over using plastics made from refinery by-products that will last for years and put very little strain on the environment. The exhaust from the logging equipment will have more impact than the plastic sign.