• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arizona 350gt problem

sullyd

Hi All

need help with a problem

z axis fault on console , yet head is all correct and set itself up fine. when machine passes left to right it dies , guard error will not reset itself until machine is switched off and back on again.
anyone know anything to check before i call in the money men!

sullyd

update

Thanks Pat
have tried the brushes but all looks fine in there and did the head carriage thing.
looking at it now its coming up with an internal communication error after doing one pass and then on the reset it says Z axis error and fails to reset unless machine gets powered down.
Have logged a call with oce and will post the conclusion for the record

from a freezing London:signs101:

We had a similar issue on our 318gl back in November. Had some weird noises start then all of a sudden the print head carriage would stop as soon as it started moving across the gantry and would throw a carriage guard error. After panicking and expecting a huge bill from having to fly a tech out (we are in Winnipeg, with the nearest tech in Calgary, and no service agreement) I was able to get it back up and running thanks to some great phone tech support from Ted Holyoak. Great guy, was very helpful, knowledgeable and calm while I was pulling my hair out on the other line.

Anyways........here is what fixed it for us. Not positive it will solve your issue but is worth a shot.

Power down the machine (main power switch)

Remove all the covers by the motor/coolant refill area.

At the bottom of the motor, there will be what looks like 4 flathead screws - these are the brushes for the carriage motor. Carefully remove these and inspect to ensure there is still carbon left. (if they are still good - I believe there should be at least 1/4" of carbon left on them in order for them to be effective - if not, order a brush kit from Canon)

Once all 4 are removed, grab a can of compressed air and insert into one of the holes. **you may want to wear eye protection or throw a plastic bag around the area as it will blow carbon deposits all over the place.** Let er rip until there isn't any dust coming out. If you want to go the extra mile you can try blowing air into all 4 holes.

Replace the 4 brushes and re-install the covers and screws.

Re-boot the machine and try running it. You may hear a clunk the first time the printer carriage motion begins which I was told is normal.

Hopefully it's as simple as that. I would suggest ordering a brush kit regardless to keep on hand. I was told this issue is more common on the 318gl's and is generally caused from running small jobs under 24" wide which require the head carriage to start/stop more frequently than intended. We've printed thousands of pieces this way which explains why it came up on yours - not sure if that explains your issue.

If that doesn't work, try removing the head carriage cover and taping down the guard sensor to see if it is the cause of the errors.
***note: this will disable the carriage guard sensor and will no longer prevent head strikes. A head strike with guard sensor disabled could cause permanent damage to the heads. Remember to remove the tape once troubleshooting has ruled out or confirmed the sensor if defective**

If all else fails, give Canon tech support a call and they will request for you do download and send a log from the printer. They will check for any errors and clues as to what is causing the issue and can often diagnose issues over the phone. I spent several hours on the phone with Ted (called at 4:30pm Friday, was back up and running by 11:30am Monday with no communication over the weekend) and our bill was only $200-$300.

**Please keep in mind I am not a tech and these are only suggestions from my recent experience and are to be taken as suggestions only**

Good luck, hope that helps. :thumb:

Oh, and welcome to Signs 101 from Winnipeg. :Welcome:

AlsEU

Try to reconnect the Firewire cable (one end inside carriage, red connector on the right side of the carriage board, second end in the electronic box, on the data relay card connected to the mainboard). Of course disconnect it while the printer is switched off mechanically. Sometimes that cable is losing connection (which was notified by the firmware as communication error) and reconnection helps. It is also possible that the cable is damaged and needs to be replaced.