• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Arrow Keys and Text Inverted

yardsignswork

Hello,

I have a strange problem I can't seem to fix. I'm using Illustrator CS3 on Windows XP. About a week ago my arrow keys went wacky. Up Key goes left, , left key goes up... etc. The other problem I noticed is when I create a new text block, it defaults at 90 degrees (vertical). I have to rotate it back every time I start new text.

I have tried resetting my default workspace and restarting of course. I'm not sure if I turned something on by mistake or its a bug/virus.

Replicator

If wireless . . . Change batteries !

If wired . . . Install or update drivers and/or software for your keyboard !

joeshaul

Here's a few suggestions to try to troubleshoot it:

First thing, eliminate the keyboard as a culprit, try another keyboard.
If the keyboard does turn out to be the thing at fault, check the pins if it's a PS/2 and make sure that one isn't bent out of alignment (should see 6 straight pins and one plastic block).

If the keyboard's ruled out, check your accessibility settings, never known one to cause this issue in particular but they do some strange things. Control Panel - Accessibility, make sure all checkmarks on the "Keyboard" tab are unchecked.

If accessibility's ruled out, try to mash the shift, control, alt, and windows keys on both sides of the keyboard. These oftentimes get in a stuck state and will cause issues, I know the shift key in particular will change the text tool to 90 degrees.

If that fails, try creating a new user on your XP machine, this should reset some of Illy's settings. If that doesn't work, I'd probably attribute it to a virus/trojan.