• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artic Gbc Laminator Problem

AnthonyRalano

The stop button led is lit yellow. When I press run, reverse, or the foot pedal the green led lights up until I take my finger off of the button while the stop button still stays lit yellow. I can hear a clicking inside near the control panel when I press the buttons almost like a relay. No motor turning. Pulled the side panels off. Nothing is moving. I looked to make sure that there is nothing obstructing the rollers. Checked the obvious wire connections. What next? Has anyone had a similar issue?

DerbyCitySignGuy

There's NO movement at all? Or only movement when you hold the button or pedal down?

It sounds like your safety sensor is either blocked or possibly bad. Make sure someone didn't accidentally put tape or something over one of the sensor "eyes". If all of your sensors are clear and unobstructed, you could possibly have one that's bad and thinks it's blocked.

Alternatively, if you hear the motor whining, but there's no movement, could be a clutch. If you hear nothing at all, could be a bad motor.

AnthonyRalano

No movement at all. The safety sensor has both lights lit. red and green. When I put my hand in front of it, it is only green. What would you recommend next? I will take this thing apart and put it back together if I have to. It is an old laminator and not really worth having a tech come from a large city with a large price. At the same time, I have vinyl that needs to go through, so I can get the jobs done. Not trying to be cheap, but the tech may cost more than the laminator is worth in the end.

AnthonyRalano

on the left side it appears that the safety sensor is only red. I am trying to locate my metric allen wrench set to pull the cover completely off.

AnthonyRalano

On the side away from the control panel the light will only light up red. On the side with the control panel it is red and green and only green when blocked.

DerbyCitySignGuy

On the side away from the control panel the light will only light up red. On the side with the control panel it is red and green and only green when blocked.

Left side (away from the panel) should be red all the time. That side is projecting the beam to the eye on the other side. When you break the beam, the right side (panel side) light should turn off. If that is what's happening, it sounds like the safety sensors are actually working as intended and not blocked.

Can you hear the motor working at all? If you can hear the motor working, but nothing is moving, there are little rubber disc clutches on the rollers that I would check. They may be bad. If you can't hear the motor working, your motor might be bad.

AnthonyRalano

This is where I am at with this now. The motor works. The photo sensors appear to be lighting properly. The relays are clear and you can see them working and hear them clicking. I checked all of the cable connections over for anything that may be loose. Right now I have the 36v motor hooked to 24v batteries and it laminates perfectly (as long as my co-worker holds the wire to the battery, that is the on/off switch). Still trying to figure out what the program is. I don't want a tech to just come and tell me to replace the whole pcb, but at this point I am out of ideas for this.
2017-02-21 07.31.52.jpg

DerbyCitySignGuy

So it all works when you bypass the on/off switch for the laminator? Maybe the on/off switch is bad? You have an ohmmeter? That's my only guess at this point.