• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artistic printing question

SebastienL

I've been working on these for quite a while now. I've attached a jpeg so you can see… You can find the rest of my work on DeviantArt.

Here's the link to my gallery:http://left-hand-path-666.deviantart.com/gallery/26357225

Most of these are 22" x 32" to fit a standard 30" x 40" mat as I intend to frame these. Right now, I'm working on one that is 32" x 52" to fit a standard oversize 40" x 60" mat.

I'm interested in what you guys and gals might suggest as a "printing" method. I just don't want to print these on film or paper. The goal is to produce a few of them to do an exposition in a bar, restaurant or ultimately, an art gallery.

I tried screen printing, but I'm not happy with the results. I find I lose details and sharpness in the small details.

So far, I've achieved the best result by printing on our Accuity. I printed twice, overlaying 2 layers of ink on 020 styrene. I really like the contrast of the gloss of the ink on the mat of the styrene and I really like the "thickness" of the 2 layers of ink. I know for sure the final product will not be styrene as this material will yellow over time and I'm not sure of the durability of applying 2 layers of ink. Will the ink crack or peel? I just don't know.

Any suggestion on materials or production technique would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sébastien

Attachments

• Channelers.jpg
    Channelers.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 64

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd look for someone with an aqueous printer as they give by far the best print.

As far as printing, whether you use eco solvent inks, aqueous or even U/V curable inks, you can print to a vast array of papers and synthetic papers or even canvas type to make them appear like paintings or etchings. Heck, when they're done, you could even pencil in....... 58/375 to fool the people.

sar bossier

IMO, canvas would look great for these ... leave 2 1/4" bleed on all four sides, then mount them to 2" x 2" canvas frames, and people will think you are the schiznit!

Awesome work, btw.

SebastienL

Canvas is absolutely not an option... I've never, ever seen anything printed on canvas that looked anywhere near good.

Gino, absolutely, prints will be numbered and dated and catalogued...

Thanks for the comments.

d fleming

I'd look for someone with an aqueous printer as they give by far the best print.

As far as printing, whether you use eco solvent inks, aqueous or even U/V curable inks, you can print to a vast array of papers and synthetic papers or even canvas type to make them appear like paintings or etchings. Heck, when they're done, you could even pencil in....... 58/375 to fool the people.
+1
my epson 9500 could do it.

signswi

Epson 9880 or Canon iPF9100, Museo MAX paper, mount behind glass.

For an interesting twist print onto aluminum or steel or better yet chemical etch steel (or another metal sheeting) and ink the etch pits with black, then coat the whole thing in a liquid gloss varnish.

Could also laser burn the designs into leather or a really high end wood (finished appropriately), could be cool.

Or for something a bit closer to this forum, just print a double black hit with a UV flatbed onto finished and polished metal and then liquid coat with gloss.

Rooster

Straight prints on paper are a dime a dozen. The artwork is very nice and deserves a more unique approach to reproduction. I'd try a variety of different materials to create something more than a print on paper. It will be far more likely to sell than as just a standard giclee print.

Try contacting artbot on this site for some ideas. He does some very unique stuff with his machine and created some truly unique works of art with his Frankenmodded JV3.

Spud Murphy

Going back to the old days. I would consider the expense of laser negatives on photo print paper. Maybe even photo etching on..you name it.

MikePro

love not only your work, but the deviant gallery as a whole just screams awesome.

if I'd try anything, I'd play with laminates (brushed metal, copper, etc) and print on clear to be applied.
I would also try a photopolymer process to emboss your designs. Paint to finish and maybe a layer of routed laminate to accent.

Heck, take it a step further even and illuminate the background somehow. Photopolymer is transparent.

Baz

Can't help you much with advice on reproduction options (there are so many!)but WoW! Really nice artwork!:thumb: Whenever you will have something done up and ready for sale i would be interested in seeing what you have.

Cool au boute!:thumb: J'aime bien ton style.

artbot

Spud Murphy

If you are losing detail with screen printing I think you might be using the wrong mesh, ink or something. Really Screen printing is the way to go for your art style and there is no reason not to have sharp lines or fine detail if done properly. Have you considered farming out the printing end to a professional?

Spud Murphy

Have you ever checked out Michael Salter's icons? Progressive insurance purchased some of his work. One of the first artists I know to sell digital files for cut vinyl application. Computer cut vinyl might sound cheesy but they don't look half bad on Progressive's walls.

Your art would also lend itself to computer cut paint masks.

SebastienL

Thanks to all who looked at my stuff. I trully appreciated the input. Defenitively, a lot of food for toughts, I have a lot af stuff to google once I get my internet back at home. (Had a big storm sunday night, no phone or internet since then... Haven't seen any truck from Bell in my area yet... but that,s a subject for the NHB thread... lots of cursing involved).

Artbot, definitively, I will order that book, looks very intersting. And your work... WOW, just freaking amazing. Nice to see someone pushing the limits of technology.
:thankyou::signs101::U Rock:

Tim Kingston

Wow, to both you Sébastien and Alan. I ordered the book too! Some of the best and inspiring Art I've ever seen anywhere, from both of you. Thanks, for sharing your ideas. Tim