• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artwork permissions

Lea Marc

Hi everyone, not sure if many of you have come across this but say a client does a job with us and we print it and the job is done, if down the road we want to put an example of that work in a portfolio or a website or some other house promotional material, do we need that client's permission? I'm not sure because we have done the work for them and would merely be showing that as an example of work we have done but what are the rules on this, do we need permission to showcase their work because they own the rights to it?

Thanks in advance, Steve

papabud

Lone Wolf
if you created the artwork you can.
you do an install you should be able to use a photo of the final project.
but its always good to get a release signed by the customer to use their name or artwork.
asking nicely usually works great if you have a good working relationship.

shoresigns

In our experience, it's very rare for a client to have any problem with us displaying their signs in our portfolio, and we don't ask for permission.

If they don't want you to display it, they'll tell you, either before or after the fact. It's very unlikely that someone would try to sue their printer for showing work in their portfolio, because the larger companies that are serious about not wanting their work displayed, will normally ask you to sign an NDA before you begin working with them.

EDIT: It also might be a good idea to just put something in your standard contract to address the issue.

WildWestDesigns

EDIT: It also might be a good idea to just put something in your standard contract to address the issue.

This is what I do. Any work that I created specifically for someone that they own the rights to, I'll have a clause in there that stipulates to my being able to use it for my own advertising or if I wanted to enter it in a competition that I can do so without needing their permission. They have all other rights.

Generally speaking, if they bring a design to me to do digitizing for, then I'll post it as an example, but that's as far as I'll go with designs that are sent to me. Technically speaking, I don't have a clause in there for that, but I haven't had anyone complain either.

2B

generally they are all too willing / happy to get their info displayed as it is free advertising

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Simon Duggan

Here is my take on things, I always ask permission to display the work after install, I have never had a negative response but it also opens up where you can use a quotation from them about how well you work, which if a new client want to follow up to check if it is genuine they are more than happy to recommend you.