• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions As of 2019 Should I go for the TruVIS VG series or the VSi Series?

TruVis VG or VSi Series

• VG

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • VSi

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Myster Enigma

I am planning on upgrading from my SP540v soon. I want to get either the VS540i or the TruVis VG540. In GBP I can pick up the VG for 1000 pounds (1300 or so dollars) more. So $11,000 VSi vs $12,300 VG. Both are in used condition.

I was aware that the VG series was too new at the time and as they aren't using Epson printheads anymore a lot of users were skeptical. Now that we are in 2019 what are the views and opinions on this matter? Thanks

DerbyCitySignGuy

I think you'll be fine with either, but to be totally honest, the VG we're using has more issues that I'm used to with Rolands. It's not a bad printer, by any stretch, but it's just not as good as Rolands have historically been. We've only had a couple of semi-serious issues, but overall the VG has been good. The VS-540 is a workhorse too. You probably won't be disappointed in either model (assuming they're both working well).

Myster Enigma

I think you'll be fine with either, but to be totally honest, the VG we're using has more issues that I'm used to with Rolands. It's not a bad printer, by any stretch, but it's just not as good as Rolands have historically been. We've only had a couple of semi-serious issues, but overall the VG has been good. The VS-540 is a workhorse too. You probably won't be disappointed in either model (assuming they're both working well).

Thank you so much for your input. I understand that the VS series is more reliable however the VG is newer and although I know I won't go wrong with either it is a decision I don't want to regret especially when there's only a thousand pounds differentiating the 2. Firstly is the VG series supposed to be the successor to the VS or is it a different range aimed more at photography etc? Also do you use a bulk ink system for the VG or do you know if there is one available? An ink system is quite essential in what I need too. Thanks

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thank you so much for your input. I understand that the VS series is more reliable however the VG is newer and although I know I won't go wrong with either it is a decision I don't want to regret especially when there's only a thousand pounds differentiating the 2. Firstly is the VG series supposed to be the successor to the VS or is it a different range aimed more at photography etc? Also do you use a bulk ink system for the VG or do you know if there is one available? An ink system is quite essential in what I need too. Thanks

Not sure about a bulk ink system, to be honest. Never looked into it. If there isn't already a 3rd party system available, there probably will be. We're still under warranty on our VG, so we haven't even looked at 3rd party parts yet.

You'll probably have fewer problems with the VS and it will be easier to maintain if you're doing your own service. A few items on the VG have been combined which makes replacing some parts a little more difficult than in the past. I've had a much easier time with color management on the VG, it does seem to have a wider gamut due to the TrueVIS inks. There have been several times I've managed to hit colors I didn't think we were going to be able to match.

As far as being a true successor, I don't think so. I think it's just a step up on the quality ladder. There are arguments to be made for both, but if you're not super concerned with color correctness or you don't need a slightly higher quality print, the VS will be just fine.

Myster Enigma

Not sure about a bulk ink system, to be honest. Never looked into it. If there isn't already a 3rd party system available, there probably will be. We're still under warranty on our VG, so we haven't even looked at 3rd party parts yet.

You'll probably have fewer problems with the VS and it will be easier to maintain if you're doing your own service. A few items on the VG have been combined which makes replacing some parts a little more difficult than in the past. I've had a much easier time with color management on the VG, it does seem to have a wider gamut due to the TrueVIS inks. There have been several times I've managed to hit colors I didn't think we were going to be able to match.

As far as being a true successor, I don't think so. I think it's just a step up on the quality ladder. There are arguments to be made for both, but if you're not super concerned with color correctness or you don't need a slightly higher quality print, the VS will be just fine.

Thanks again :) I think you helped me with my decision. Color correctness isn't a main concern as my SP540v has done a fantastic job thus far and customers have never complained. Speed and resolution is something I value more so I think I will go for the VS series :) If it was a true successor then I would have probably gone for the VG series. Thank you for helping me with this :)

DerbyCitySignGuy

Thanks again :) I think you helped me with my decision. Color correctness isn't a main concern as my SP540v has done a fantastic job thus far and customers have never complained. Speed and resolution is something I value more so I think I will go for the VS series :) If it was a true successor then I would have probably gone for the VG series. Thank you for helping me with this :)

No problem, I hope it works out!

Gene@mpls

Converting to bulk is pretty easy on the RF640 [2x cmyk version of the VS with no cutter] but may be harder on a VS with 6 colors [or more?]. I have always used Triangle Inx- may not be available in your neighborhood.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Perfectpdf is right on the money.
Right now you can get an Epson S40.
The printer is much better mechanically but the ink is much longer term and 3m approved.
I’ve seen customers make banners with Rolands and they fade in 6 months

Mascitti Bro

For our first foray into the print-side of things, we went with the VG540 about a month ago. Although we've had it just a few weeks, we can tell this thing is gonna be a working beast. We typically buy equipment with more capabilities than we'll need and always end up glad we did once we get the hang of things, and this one will be no different. (i'm told this is only the second one in the state.)

Myster Enigma

Thank you for all the responses. The EPSON S40/S60/S80600 are all great and I'm sure the technology is newer and better than the Rolands however an all in one machine is something I need. I won't have space for 2 machines and I am also a one man band. Whilst the printer is printing and cutting I will be doing something else. I've narrowed my options down to either the VS540 and VS540i as these two are in my budget and the VG2 series is too expensive for me to consider. What I want to know is, do you think the VSi version is worth 2000 dollars more than the standard VS version? I will be running a dual CMYK setup and I don't care too much about colour accuracy.

Thanks

ProPDF

Are the DX6 printheads considered really old? I heard a lot of people still prefer DX5's etc.

Roland never used the DX5 print head only mimaki and mutoh did. The DX6/7 whatever people want to call it has been around for almost 10yrs now if not longer. Roland released the VS series September 1 2010 in the US. They had some internal issues with the VS machines so like Roland normally does when they don't have a big update. They fixed their self created problems in the VS, painted it a new color and called it the VSi series which is overall the same machine with most the issues fixed from the original VS series. You can't even buy a VS model anymore brand new because it's now 4 generations old after this new VG2 update release they are doing. From my understanding you also can't buy a VSi model larger than the 300 (30inch) now cause they are pushing all business to the SG/VG line-up in an attempt to completely disconnect from Epson heads.

It sounds as though you are fairly new to this and my suggestion would be to try and pick-up a used Roland XC-540 with below 2500 print hours. This is the model before the VS series but you will note these were the model Roland got right. Some members here have clearly noted they have gotten over 10yrs of daily use out of the XC540 platform. They are worth repairing and can be found really cheap now. The print quality is excellent once you learn the machine including how to calibrate/profile it. The heads are separate per color as well so if you have a head crash on an XC540 you usually get away with replacing 1 head that cost about $550 vs 1 VS/VSi head which is $2k each time (This always varies though on the head crash). The Roland XC540 uses the DX4 print head and is a printer cutter all in one unit. If you want to save on space with the same style you can try to find a VP540 it has only 4 heads.

Myster Enigma

Roland never used the DX5 print head only mimaki and mutoh did. The DX6/7 whatever people want to call it has been around for almost 10yrs now if not longer. Roland released the VS series September 1 2010 in the US. They had some internal issues with the VS machines so like Roland normally does when they don't have a big update. They fixed their self created problems in the VS, painted it a new color and called it the VSi series which is overall the same machine with most the issues fixed from the original VS series. You can't even buy a VS model anymore brand new because it's now 4 generations old after this new VG2 update release they are doing. From my understanding you also can't buy a VSi model larger than the 300 (30inch) now cause they are pushing all business to the SG/VG line-up in an attempt to completely disconnect from Epson heads.

It sounds as though you are fairly new to this and my suggestion would be to try and pick-up a used Roland XC-540 with below 2500 print hours. This is the model before the VS series but you will note these were the model Roland got right. Some members here have clearly noted they have gotten over 10yrs of daily use out of the XC540 platform. They are worth repairing and can be found really cheap now. The print quality is excellent once you learn the machine including how to calibrate/profile it. The heads are separate per color as well so if you have a head crash on an XC540 you usually get away with replacing 1 head that cost about $550 vs 1 VS/VSi head which is $2k each time (This always varies though on the head crash). The Roland XC540 uses the DX4 print head and is a printer cutter all in one unit. If you want to save on space with the same style you can try to find a VP540 it has only 4 heads.

Thank you. I read your link to the other thread but couldn't find the source of the problem for the VSi machines but I understand that a lot of users have had problems with it nonetheless. As for internal issues of the VS machines can you name the important ones which need to be considered. I will also look at the XC-540 however there isn't one available near me at the moment. I am fairly new as you say. Only been using the Roland SP540v for a year which is my first printer but I've learned enough to outgrow it. The most important thing to me is speed and right now it's fine but if a better machine will let me finish hours earlier in the day that all adds up and in a year I will save so much time. The VP540 seems good but is it a massive jump to what I have? Thanks for letting me know :)

DerbyCitySignGuy

For our first foray into the print-side of things, we went with the VG540 about a month ago. Although we've had it just a few weeks, we can tell this thing is gonna be a working beast. We typically buy equipment with more capabilities than we'll need and always end up glad we did once we get the hang of things, and this one will be no different. (i'm told this is only the second one in the state.)

This is generally our philosophy too. Go as big as you reasonably can and grow into the machine, just don't overextend.

Myster Enigma

Thanks guys for all of the input. I think I made my decision. I am either going to buy the VS540 or VS540i. Aside from the cartridge mount system one being vertical and one being horizontal what are the other main differences? I can get the VS version for quite a bit cheaper.

Catherineeee

hello guys,

i also went to one reseller and was told that they dont sell older versions anymore, instead they offer me the new VG2 series. i dont have much idea about it, told that it has 20improvements than the old VG. but do you have insights about the new tr2 inks of it, i mean the difference with truevis ink? is it worth to buy?

thanks