• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Asked to do presentation about signs for advertising, need some advice!

Big EZ Signs LLC

Howdy all,

A customer of mine recently invited me to give a presentation to a business group (day care centers) she chairs. The meeting is about increasing your revenues through advertising. She's invited someone from TV, radio, magazine, internet, and newspaper. She wants me to represent the sign industry (no pressure) and give a short presentation about how signs can increase enrollment at child care centers. Then there will be "breakout" sessions where directors can come talk to us individually.

So I'm coming to my experienced peers, and asking for a little guidance. What are some thing I should cover in my presentation? Obviously I'll have pics of some of my work, but I'd like to be able to do more than: "Hey, you need a sign, so people can find you!"

Thanks in advance,

Sign Nutz

MikePro

first impressions.
signage, tv ads, radio... can totally turn off potential clients if not presented in an attractive manner.

jasonx

You center your presentation upon Return On Investment (ROI). Increasing revenue alone isn't a great indicator alone. I could go out and pay a sales person $100 to get me $100 in sales. Sure my revenue increases by $100 but so do my expenses.

You talk about the different products at the different price levels, their longevity and the costs typically associated and then give the benefits of each product.

Levels I am thinking of are building signage, temporary outdoor promotional signage, point of purchase materials (retractors, posters etc) from most expensive to least expensive.

You talk about their investments they have made in buildings and land and they need to capitalise on this by using signage to attract passing traffic and local people and the costs associated with the investment will be far outweighed by the return they will receive in new sign ups.

jiarby

talk about all the different kinds of signs... and the advantages/disadvantages of each..

Electrical Signs
Monument Signs
Pole Signs
Cabinet Signs
Neon
LED
Pan/Channel
Flex Face

Then the others...

Post-Panel MDO's
3-D Routed & Carved
Coro Bandit Signs
A-Frames
Printed vs Cut Vinyl on various substrates

Vehicle Advertising:
Wraps
Partials
Window Perf
Door/Tailgate Decals
Magnetics
Door Flags (like pizza guys, sublimated clip on flags)

Storefront:
Vinyl on glass (Store hours, etc..)
Perf on Glass
Interior Posters & Wall Murals
Point of purchase displays & Counter Signs
ADA/Wayfinding
Name Tags & Badges
Desk Name Plates
Apparel (Logo Shirts, Uniforms, Hats)

Promos & Ad Specialties
Decals & Bumper Stickers for Parents/Customers

And on & on...

Advertising is more than just buying a sign, or an ad... Advertising is really just PART of your overall marketing plan that should incorporate print ads, online SEO, social media, point of purchase, physical signage, local visibility, etc... and it all works together to increase local community awareness fo your business & services.

YOU want to become their MARKETING EXPERT... not just the sign guy. Everything starts with YOU!

weaselboogie

Make sure to alienate all of the other media speakers by informing dollar per dollar that signage is the most cost effective form of advertising ever hands down.

:)

Craig Sjoquist

This not the time to talk about your work at all only as samples.
Day Cares normally care about attracting children so inside murals and out side graphics are a big thing in making it look fun, signage means little to children. So the main signage is secondary but should look highly professional, clean and simple.

MikePro

Make sure to alienate all of the other media speakers by informing dollar per dollar that signage is the most cost effective form of advertising ever hands down.

:)
+1
cost per view = signage is by far the greatest return on your investment!

John L

Hope this comes across. I'm really tired but, I'll try to help...

Discuss the absolute advantage that properly designed and executed on-premise signage has over many other popular forms of advertising. In regards to day care centers, the response of on-premise towers over radio, TV, direct mail, transit shelters, billboards, and many others in that it most effectively targets the patrons that are already in the area of the service provided. On-premise will reach those that are already living, already working, or even already utilizing the competing services of another local daycare center.

In order to have a successful response from most any other medium, the potential customer must be motivated, called to action to DO something else... call you to get directions, put on their drawers and drive across town to come see you, drive past many other offering the same service, and/or many other hurdles.

On-premise is different in that the only thing the potential needs to do to buy from you is to simply make a simple decision turn their steering wheel and land a choice spot in your parking lot.

Their are sooo many other advantages of signs. But this is a major advantage that has helped make my living (and many very successful customers' businesses) for the last 27 years. Hope this gives you an idea.

SignManiac

Be sure to give a real life example of ROI, give them numbers of the actual cost of a sign when amortized over ten years as compared to a yellow page ad for one year.

iSign

talk about branding too... people have different ideas about what a logo is, and why it should be maintained in a consistent manner & broadcast in different mediums... the continuity & integrity of a visual identity is paramount & many clients will never see that if they don't learn it from us... they suffer from an ultra acute awareness of their field & their competition... so as far as standing apart from the competition, they will thin they do just because they have a different name.. it's often difficult for our clients to realize the 5 seconds after their marketing materials have past by us... we may be just as likely to guess one of their competitors as guessing it was their ad, flyer, or place of business we just saw... so a visual identity is important & should be reinforced at every opportunity

Marlene

my boss travels around to all kinds of groups doing this. he uses info from the ISA which comes in handy as it has stats concerning the advertising side of a sign vs print or other media ads. if you belong to the ISA, they have some really good materials. if not, stress the 24 hour a day advertising that a sign provides. the creation of the image for the business is good too. when you think about it, how many times have you made a choice of where to eat based on the sign? I know I have driven by some places as they looked too expense or too shabby. same thing with motels and such. also a lot of small companies use an image of their sign in media types of advertising from TV to the yellow pages.

Billct2

Lots of great suggestions.
Biggest advantage of signs is ROI and target marketing.
Daycare centers market is the people that drive by it, not someone two towns over that doesn't work or live near the daycare.
ISA or the USSC have lots of data on the advatages of signs.
I also like the idea of selling branding and interior murals/graphics, a complete package.
If it's allowed by zoning and you do them include the advantage of a digital message center, or at least a changeable copy board.

Big EZ Signs LLC

Thank you all so much for the great ideas! I'm a lot calmer after I talked to the chairwoman of the group, and your suggestions have given me a lot of "meat" to talk about. I'll let you know how it goes!

Big EZ Signs LLC

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. The presentation turned out a little different than I thought. For one, 20 people did *not* show up. Due to stuff like understaffing and the flu, only 4 daycare directors were able to attend. And, I only had to present along with Direct Mail, and Radio salespeople. Seemed pretty good, as all the directors wanted me to call them later about various signage.

Thanks again!:rock-n-roll:

Mosh

I was going to tell you to have a few drinks before , this always helps me when I get up and speak in front of large groups. I keep getting asked back, it must work! Or it is the stories I bust out instead of talkig about the subject at hand...

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
How can anything advertize any better than a couple hundred kids running around in screen printed t-shirts?