• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching 2 HDU panels

tranceraider

So the customer wanted a hanging HDU sign, it is about 62"w x 35"h. They wanted it double sided so we purchased two 1" HDU panels and were going to glue them together. Instead of just purchasing a 2" thick and have it routed on both sides we chose two single sided panels so we could glue them together and route out a spot for some all thread so we can hang the sign and not have the hooks just snap off in a storm.

I guess the question is, what would be the best practice to attach two 5'x3' panels of HDU, and do you think there is a better way to make it a hanging sign then what we are thinking of doing. They also want to hang riders underneath the sign, which made the all thread make even more sense. And just attach hooks/ihooks to the ends of the all thread.

Just wondering what glue is best to hold two signs together, and if there is any need to add more support like dowels or something to hold both signs together.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

J Hill Designs

So the customer wanted a hanging HDU sign, it is about 62"w x 35"h. They wanted it double sided so we purchased two 1" HDU panels and were going to glue them together. Instead of just purchasing a 2" thick and have it routed on both sides we chose two single sided panels so we could glue them together and route out a spot for some all thread so we can hang the sign and not have the hooks just snap off in a storm.

I guess the question is, what would be the best practice to attach two 5'x3' panels of HDU, and do you think there is a better way to make it a hanging sign then what we are thinking of doing. They also want to hang riders underneath the sign, which made the all thread make even more sense. And just attach hooks/ihooks to the ends of the all thread.

Just wondering what glue is best to hold two signs together, and if there is any need to add more support like dowels or something to hold both signs together.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

HDU glue

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
We often use square alum tube for support in the middle on 2-sided HDU sign. Held together with Gorilla Glue. It is probably overkill, but it is rock solid.

Attachments

• peoria_rescue_sandblasted_in_progress_3.jpg
    peoria_rescue_sandblasted_in_progress_3.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 160

Kottwitz-Graphics

We often use square alum tube for support in the middle on 2-sided HDU sign. Held together with Gorilla Glue. It is probably overkill, but it is rock solid.

I like using metal, but unfortunately, I can't weld alum, so I use powder coated steel. I bond the (2) pieces together with West Systems Epoxy.

tranceraider

Do you just route out the place where the aluminum is do you have another method? Also how much gorilla glue are you guys using for a sign that size? First time I have tried gluing two pieces together back to back, not sure how much is enough.

J Hill Designs

Do you just route out the place where the aluminum is do you have another method? Also how much gorilla glue are you guys using for a sign that size? First time I have tried gluing two pieces together back to back, not sure how much is enough.

I prefer to use actual HDU glue, but I'm pretty sure gorilla glue is basically the same stuff - coastal enterprises has how-to's here:

http://precisionboard.com/products/adhesives/

TimToad

This method would seem to leave very little meat on the bone of if they use two 1" thick pieces of HDU.

To the OP, using this method with channels routed into the backs of your panel is a good way to do it, you'll just have to think about using thicker material to do it without risking routing through the front and back to nearly nothing.

For a double sided hanging sign this big with depth being incorporated into it, I think a 2" thick sign is pretty wimpy.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
This method would seem to leave very little meat on the bone of if they use two 1" thick pieces of HDU.

To the OP, using this method with channels routed into the backs of your panel is a good way to do it, you'll just have to think about using thicker material to do it without risking routing through the front and back to nearly nothing.

For a double sided hanging sign this big with depth being incorporated into it, I think a 2" thick sign is pretty wimpy.

You are correct, 1" would be too thin. We typically use 1.5" for each side, 2" for large sizes like 4'x8'.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Some years ago, we hogged out a 1/2" deep area 42" x 88" out of 6/4" stock on two sides and glued a 1" piece of wood in the middle. The wood was there for stability, wind, vandalism and holding the brackets. We sanded the edges down and you couldn't tell it was 2 pieces at all. I think we used gorilla glue. Normally, we use wood blanks for this stuff, but the customer insisted on foam board. Some other shop talked him into it, merely because of the size. The largest redwood sign we ever made was 88" x 240" from 6/4" stock. Had to make custom pipe clamps, too for that one. Back in the 80's and 90's we made a ton of redwood sandblasted signs. Many of them 20' long.