• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching Foamboard

Bannerday

I have a client who wants a series of prints 20" x 30" attached
to their walls (drywall).

Never did this before and was looking for some pointers. What would
you use to attach?

Thanks

HulkSmash

I'd use gator board. A few dollars more MUCH more rigid.

If the prints are 24x24. Make your gator board 26x26, Center it, leaving 2 inches of black gator board all the way around. Looks nice and clean.

Bill Modzel

There are small metal hangers that actually have two angled points to shove right into
the back of the foamboard. The work great and are very simple.

Webby

Foam board install

Would use a clear silcon SCS1000 by GE. This will allow the sign to be removed in the future without any harm to the drywall (Can leave a water mark on the paint thou). If that is not a issue then 3m VHB or other various double sided foam tapes will hold it forever.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Aren't you going to finish off the edges with anything ??

You can use the edge with a wire hanger and a hook on the wall.

Bannerday

Would use a clear silcon SCS1000 by GE. This will allow the sign to be removed in the future without any harm to the drywall (Can leave a water mark on the paint thou). If that is not a issue then 3m VHB or other various double sided foam tapes will hold it forever.

Can I get that silicon at a Home Depot or similar?

Webby

Yes any 100% clear silicone will work for what you need. Put it on in small quarter size balls not in a snake patter and it will help lock it to drywall while it drys.

weaselboogie

When I something similar, I use silicone and a couple of pieces of double stick banner hem tape to secure while it dries. The last thing you want is signs that slowly slides down the wall and then DRIES that way.

Bill Modzel

I buy them from a picture framing wholesaler but any framing shop should have them. I also use a poly tab. Half of it has DF foam tape and the top has a punch out to hang over a nail. I use these on smaller sintra panels.

MikePro

i attach foam core to drywall all the time with 4 tabs of 3M VHB assisted by 100% silicone. Granted, the VHB takes paint off the walls with it when removed, as does the silicone.

could also just go with a couple of nails, instead, like you would normally hang a picture frame

10sacer

What thickness of foamcore?

If half inch - just measure off your space where the print will go and stick about 4 or 5 of the plastic push pin thumbtacks into the wall inside your hanging area and then center up your print and gently press down onto the top of the tacks and they will sit between the two layers of facing where the foam is. Don't push too hard. When you take it down you only have the very small tack holes to deal with.

We use 3/16" black PVC with French cleats for all of ours, but the thumbtack idea works very well for less costly stuff.

dsmskyline

I usually go to the hardware store and buy the brackets made for pictures. They look similar to a saw blade.

I could small dots of 60 second epoxy where the nails would normally go and they are set.

Never had a problem doing them this way.