• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attaching Frame To 10" Steel Beam

medavez

I am fabricating the following sign for an outdoor installation. No permits are required.
144" x 18"
14" (.375" thick) Gemini solid acrylic letters attached to 6MM Alumalite/Econolite, attached to an aluminum frame.

QUESTION A:
How best to attach the completed sign, centered to a horizontal 10" steel beam? Welding or through-bolts are not options. I have attached a mock-up.

QUESTION B:
I've always worked with stud-mount Gemini letters, but you guys talk up this Lexel product so much, I would love to try attaching them to the Alumalite with no studs. WHICH Lexel product? Will it really hold for the long term? And what would be best prep for both letter and substrate?

Attachments

• ATTACH_TO_10INCH_BEAM.jpg
    ATTACH_TO_10INCH_BEAM.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Noting where you are located, I hardly think 6mm econolite is the right substrate for your background. Maybe .25" aluminum sheeting or no less than .125 and if it can't be welded onto the beam, I would think a french cleat welded to the back of the sign board and the other side bolted fast to the beam. Anything less than that would not be safe with wind hitting that long sign from two sides. I can't believe you don't need a permit for that, due to it's location, but that doesn't give the excuse to not use proper fasteners and you should be using some sort of physical fasteners. Look at all the other welds seams up there. Your's would be hidden and not even show.

henryz

I agree with Gino on the .125 aluminum backer minimum, for attachment we would weld an angle on top /bottom and bolt to beam, leave a few letters off to install the panel to screw to beam and cover with letters afterwards and if those options don't fly come up with a bracket attachment system similar to a light pole brace for panels.

2B

like the others have stated a physical fastener is HIGHLY suggested.

if you cannot modify the beam I would look at using Square U Bolts around the beam that attach to the sign

for the material, I would prefer to use a solid core, alumalite has the flutes which will collect debris/dirt.
since you are mounting the substrate to a full frame and the frame to the beam. Then the 6mm will be fine to use

MikePro

if welding/thru-bolt isn't an option, what about screws? 1/8" alum backer, with 2" angle welded to the back to "sit" on top of the beam. Screw into beam and make sure you've sealed any penetrations to avoid rusting over time.

if hell bent on not penetrating the beam whatsoever, then get some banding kits for street pole signs and fab your sign to accommodate.

visual800

I would fabricate a bracket that would go over the top of that beam and secure it and drill thru that part and tell them if no drilling you wont do job

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Those Band-it stainless clamps are used to hold traffic signals and road signs.
I've seen it used here to mount transformers to the poles.
Bolt a bracket to the sign and strap the bracket to the beam.
That beam will rust through before the clamp gives up.

wayne k
guam usa