• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attention Lurkers

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I fully understand and respect your privacy. If you connect, touch base with me, you have my vow of confidentiality. I will never ever mention anything about our relationship anywhere without your permission.

You can start by sending me a direct message (DM) right here on Signs101. If you are not quite aware of how to start a “conversation.” here is the way. Click on my name. Click on “Profile Page.” (Don’t start a message here. Keep going.) Click on “Information.” Scroll down to where you see “Start a Conversation.” That is totally private. And, we can keep our conversation here for as long as you wish. And, I do not need to know any of the details. First things first. Get a little better acquainted, completely privately. And, answer any questions you might have.

I am here to help you with cash management. My skill is in teaming up with you to develop tiny small steps that are easy to take. Easy to measure. Easy to see that you are making progress. Efficient cash management is one of the hardest things for small business owners and entrepreneurs.

When it comes to the methods I use, they all come from Mike Michalowicz and Cyndi Thomason. They each have collaborated to write books about “Profit First.” Their concepts work. I will be happy to explain them to you.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Definitely a fan of Mike Michalowicz and have most of his books. I really his no-bull$hit approach and writing style.

Back to lurking for me.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
What do you call some one who does reply and engages. but they are uncomfortable reading the threads?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I see. For some reason, I always viewed someone who is here and represented by a "guest" symbol and cannot participate at all. Like a wallflower.

They wouldn't've been able to participate in your offer, but actual non-participating members can.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
What do you call some one who does reply and engages. but they are uncomfortable reading the threads?
Boudica Thanks, but no thanks. My focus is on helping any Signs101 member who wants to improve their cash management. Since "lurkers" are the vast majority, I addressed my Thread to them.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I see. For some reason, I always viewed someone who is here and represented by a "guest" symbol and cannot participate at all. Like a wallflower.

They wouldn't've been able to participate in your offer, but actual non-participating members can.
Gino With the news today about pricing skyrocketing, cash management for the small sign shop owner is going to be quite a serious challenge. I am on a mission to help sign makers make it through 2021 and thrive.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Decent topic. To me it always seems like the small guys price increases lag far behind the suppliers and are more difficult to pull off. The suppliers all do it at once but the industry doesn't, if at all. Some customers balk which opens the door for them to shop around. Too many people are content with their profits being eroded by these constant price increases.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Decent topic. To me it always seems like the small guys price increases lag far behind the suppliers and are more difficult to pull off. The suppliers all do it at once but the industry doesn't, if at all. Some customers balk which opens the door for them to shop around. Too many people are content with their profits being eroded by these constant price increases.
Notarealsignguy Yes, the "small guys" are going to be in a "difficult to pull off" position for some time to come. I firmly believe that the Mike Michalowicz "Profit First" method will more than make it possible to succeed.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Been lurking around Amazon for something to read about business and my lurking on here paid off...just ordered the book!

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
The products the company I work have had several rounds of price increases recently so the company raised their prices in turn. It would be fairly simple if it didn't mean a ton of signs had to be remade.

Andy D

73705835.jpg

Reveal1

Thanks Robert, something to think about. Did a little research on 'profit first' and the 'system' is not for me. This is a whole lot like the various debt-free personal finance systems. There are thousands of would-be entrepreneurs, many of whom don't have a clue about business fundamentals, and even less self discipline. That's why over half of new businesses fail within 5 years and only a third make it 10 years. This system might help some of them who spend frivolously or are focused solely on growth. Somewhere in the mix of controlling costs, investing wisely, selling capably, and taking calculated risks to grow is the sweet spot.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Thanks Robert, something to think about. Did a little research on 'profit first' and the 'system' is not for me. This is a whole lot like the various debt-free personal finance systems. There are thousands of would-be entrepreneurs, many of whom don't have a clue about business fundamentals, and even less self discipline. That's why over half of new businesses fail within 5 years and only a third make it 10 years. This system might help some of them who spend frivolously or are focused solely on growth. Somewhere in the mix of controlling costs, investing wisely, selling capably, and taking calculated risks to grow is the sweet spot.
Reveal1 Thank you for taking the time to reply and to research. I appreciate it, very much. The "Profit First" method is simply a tool to use for a certain purpose. That purpose is to thrive while doing what you love to do. My role is to be an encourager to stay the course. I like how huge rocket ships are constantly making small course corrections. Reveal1 Again, thank you.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It doesn't really seem very conducive to growth since you're removing profits first and paying the expenses with whatever is left. After that is all done, there is nothing left or a hole. The concept is a great way to sell books though. What does every guy that can't manage his cash flow want more than anything? To make more money without changing bad habits or actually learning how to manage a business. There is no shortage of them or people looking for a quick fix.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
It doesn't really seem very conducive to growth since you're removing profits first and paying the expenses with whatever is left. After that is all done, there is nothing left or a hole. The concept is a great way to sell books though. What does every guy that can't manage his cash flow want more than anything? To make more money without changing bad habits or actually learning how to manage a business. There is no shortage of them or people looking for a quick fix.
Notarealsignguy "Profit First" is only a method or a tool for someone to use if that happens to be their choice. I prefer it because it helps to focus on a productive and positive goal. Another perspective is "Cash Management."
My approach is to take very tiny steps. Each step is developed as a joint effort between me and the sign maker. See if that step works. Adjust if necessary. Try again. Keep making small productive steps.
The DNA of every sign shop is different. If the owner wants to improve cash flow, then I am open to having a discovery conversation. It may work, or it may not. I think it is worth a five-minute conversation.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Clarify.
The "Profit First" method is like a floodlight. Every sign maker has their own preferred way to use a floodlight, different types of lights, for different purposes.
I have learned that the "Profit First" approach works simply because it is a deliberate effort to improve the bottom line.
Old habits are hard to change.
My skill is in first getting an understanding of your own particular situation. Putting our thoughts together to find potential small steps, the smaller the better. 1%. Stepping back to see if the small step worked. Rinse and repeat. The tiny steps help to change old habits.
Having an encourager also is a big help.
And then, my favorite, "Fun under pressure."