• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Attracting Customers with Limited Portfolio.

dbern50

I am getting my business going. I have not made many signs or graphics yet. I do have two major clients but they mostly request graphic services from me. They have another sign vendor that I can not compete against for the time being (contracts).

How can I attract new clients with not a great portfolio? The pictures and images of my previous work are owned by my previous employers. I can't use their images on my website because I don't want to be sued. I want to promote car graphics and wrapping, vinyl graphics, tradeshow displays and interior/exterior signs.

How do you promote yourself when you are first getting started and have a limited portfolio?

TimToad

I am getting my business going. I have not made many signs or graphics yet. I do have two major clients but they mostly request graphic services from me. They have another sign vendor that I can not compete against for the time being (contracts).

How can I attract new clients with not a great portfolio? The pictures and images of my previous work are owned by my previous employers. I can't use their images on my website because I don't want to be sued. I want to promote car graphics and wrapping, vinyl graphics, tradeshow displays and interior/exterior signs.

How do you promote yourself when you are first getting started and have a limited portfolio?

Do you have a collection of original designs, conceptual artwork, layouts for sign proposals, etc.?

Even if they never were produced, its perfectly acceptable to create a portfolio from them and present them to clients.

From this point forward, photograph EVERY single sign or project you do and you'll be surprised at how fast you accumulate some examples to use.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
How can I attract new clients with not a great portfolio?
First - You've got to establish a web presence. I'd build a professional website which has eloquent description of exactly what services you offer. I'd create a matching Facebook page which will eventually showcase some of your artistry. Obviously establishing an 'official' social media presence will help build your brand and spread the word, promoting your services as Open For Business. As a 'grand opening' sort of concept - I'd offer a 10-20% discount to all who share either your Facebook page or actual website links.

Perhaps offering a 'building my portfolio' type discount for your first 20-30 clients, with the stipulation that all images created will be showcased onsite and on social media, UNLESS a branding-free type option is purchased.

If you're looking for someone to build the website for you dbern50 - feel free to contact me at signssupport@signs101.com and I'll be happy to quote you on the project.

HTH,

SignsSupport

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Here was a guy with web presence up the wazoo, but no portfolio... out of business
https://signs101.com/threads/wrap-sales-cold-calling-tips.127969/
Can't say this was the reason, maybe he was a bad salesman, designer or installer...

I agree with Toad and Sign Support. Get a portfolio started ASAP of work you can do and mostly, what you want to do, target your audience... get your social media and site done ASAP

This might be a good watch for you...

visual800

I dont see why you cant use those images IF you indicate who and where you did them. For a website (unless you are a pro) I would do wix, very simple, cool stuff

ikarasu

If your interested in wraps, design and wrap your vehicle. Its always with you when you see clients, and it'll be a live sample of what you can do instead of a picture. Lots of people have seen our company truck when we're doing installs and ask for a business card. We don't get much business from it since people don't realize how expensive a wrap is, but everyone is in awe of it.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Buy some stock photos of vehicle wraps. Never claim that you did them. Just show them as an example of vehicle wraps.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I dont see why you cant use those images IF you indicate who and where you did them. For a website (unless you are a pro) I would do wix, very simple, cool stuff

Work you did while employed belongs to your former employer... you need to ask permission. I believe It's bad form to use your former employers work on your own business portfolio - ESPECIALLY if you are now his competition unless you get permission.

Some of my best work was while I was employed, There is a way to showcase the work without "fully" compromising your employers copyright...

-- Get a coroflot/behance or any other portfolio showcase site - of course you give them credit. Link it on your business site.

-- You might also start a blog showcasing that work. Again, making it clear that was under your employment.

What crazy tree media did was had a Pinterest page showcasing other peoples work. I personally would have a hard time with this, but I will say, it was a clever way of showing the possibilities without taking credit, just make sure you have the design/install chops to prove it. You could also do that on a blog in your business site. Like I said earlier, I personally would not do that, but I might be a little too sensitive about it.

If you crank out 2 decent sign/wrap designs a day, in a month, you have a portfolio.

papabud

Lone Wolf
yes do several promotional jobs. wrap your car. wrap your buddies. do a few "fake" signs. wrap silly things around your office.
i wrapped my filing cabinet just to show off that stuff can be done.
i wrapped a storage cabinet to look like a vending machine.
its a great conversation starter.
talk to lots of people

ikarasu

Just to expand on what I was saying since I was on a rush earlier...

Yes, do your vehicle's,.do your friends vehicles.. do anything that comes your way.

At my shop we don't do full color changes. But I wanted experience... I know I can wrap every piece individually, but we never do hardware removals .so I offered to do my.friends vehicles for the price of the vinyl... I got to do two full wraps and two partials .I didn't make any money off them, but I got it spend hours playing around different vehicles learn I get how to remove door handles / antennas / etc. In the end I got a lot of close up and full on photos.

Friends were happy, I was happy, it was a win win.

As for the rest... Start knocking on doors getting business. When youre just starting out, it seems like the best way to get clients. Ask potential total clients if they'd like to upgrade their Signs... add some window graphics.

Do some free concept designs you think theyd like and bring them along and show them.

Tons of ways to get more work, and with more work comes more stuff for your portfolio.

clarizeyale

This is where passion projects will be great. Find something you want to improve and showcase on and create/design/illustrate to your hearts desire to do a whole series.

This one chick wanted to redo old signage and created them that would best fit the business in her eyes. This was moreso to improve her lettering and layout and they don't actually get made but the thing is.. THEY CAN! She literally did photo mock ups of before and after with her designs.

You can set a goal for yourself like 10 days.. a month challenge.. 6 months.. or a whole year. If you did this everyday for those days, you'd have up to 365 pieces to show for.. Maybe not all of them would be great but you'd definitely have stuff to add to your portfolio.

Same with wrapping. Wrap 1 or 2 new things a day and take a photo. spice it up using patterned/printed wraps and alla that if you can.

As for showcasing it, you can use Tumblr (free), Instagram (free), Wix (free or paid), Squarespace (paid), Flickr (free), Wordpress (free, can have a domain but paid), Behance (free), Dribble (free with invite) and a wholeeee bunch of other sites (depending on who your audience is).

Have illustrations or design packets? Shoot.. sell them on websites like TheHungryJpeg.com.

Want to challenge yourself? Do layouts requested on 99designs or Fiver or whore yourself on there.

The possibilities are endless.. just gotta think creatively.

Good luck!