• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Auto Merge

Elisabetz

First of all, THANK YOU!! I've been searching for a while for a forum on Omega Composer. I have 2.5.1 loaded on the computer here, and we use automerge to make hundreds of custom parts every day.

Let me set up my scenario for you all... Our graphics are based on templates, so we have a limited field in which we can fit the text people send us. We currently open up our automerge file, and if the lettering is too big for our window (3.4" is our max length for text) we have to close it, manually create the graphic, adjust the percentage ratio for that particular field and then import the text again. I have a hard time believing there isn't some setting somewhere (perhaps in Omega 2.6?) that would allow us to keep our fonts .5" tall and shrink to 3.4" wide if necessary. Even if it's a manual operation afterwards, that's cool too, but it just doesn't make any sense to import these files over and over again to correct for long names. Especially when we have an order of 30 in one .TXT file and there's only one long name.

The next question: if it's a manual operation (i found I can "fix" it with straight lines, but not curved ones by using a nonuniform center shape change)... can we do it to more than one field at a time, but on their individual centers?

I know... a lot of STUFF right there, but I'm hoping some "expert" out there can help me out!:thankyou:

Tony Teveris

For the one or more that do not fit can't you "double click" and have the Text dialog appear and select a force length of .75". I'm I missing something?

Elisabetz

I have tried the forced length - and actually, that is what we do when we "manually" create one, but when using the "merge repeat" feature, when you double click on one of the text fields... you go right back to the "merge repeat" window... not the text edit window. If it IS that simple, then I have a setting wacky in my program... and if anyone knows what it might be :-D

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
double-click your text to bring up the text properties....with the cursor on the same line as the "&1", you'll see next to F7 button the words "forced length"...check the box and enter the length you want the text to be at....then when you repeat/merge, the text will be forced to that length....keep in mind that the text that is smaller than your max width will be fit to that size aka stretched....hope that helps...

EDIT: just noticed your second post....you have to turn off the repeat/merge to get the text window back....once you have that back, then set the forced length..

Elisabetz

See, but can I turn it back on without going back to re-input my .txt file name? I almost want a setting or feature or something that says "Fit up to the size of this window"

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm pretty sure if you use a forced length for the text that this will then resolve the issue with text. The downside of that approach is that shorter lines will be stretched to fit at the same time thus causing a total change in the look of your output.

The question becomes whether or not you prefer a global solution that effects all entries to an occasional specific fit problem that you would have to handle manually.

I have no clear idea what you are asking with the second part of your question.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
just tested it....you also need to go to the options menu of the repeat/merge screen and select "use forced/fixed length as entered" instead of the "maintain forced/length percent"

hope this helps

Elisabetz

mmm.. I was hoping that there was a setting that could have a "Max length" as opposed to a universal length. oh well.

I did find a way (without turning off auto-fill) to change one straight line's length at a time. By going to Shape in the toolbar, absolute size and selecting non-uniform and center, you can change the length of the line, but not the height. however... it's for the block, not the text, so when you try it on a curved line, your curve changes diameter if you know what I mean (this is an oh-darn situation it seems). The second part of my question was if I wanted to change more than one of those blocks at a time, could I have it change the length on each shape's center, not all of them combined... If that makes ANY more sense :p

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
can you post a pic of what you're trying to explain...maybe the design...so it would be easier to understand???

Elisabetz

can you post a pic of what you're trying to explain...maybe the design...so it would be easier to understand???

Surely! There's a pic of what we're making, and my trixy straight line still in auto-fill method of changing shapes. i think the answer to "can i do them on their own centers" is no. i have to do it to each individual one (which is also ok)... if only i could figure out the magic way to do the arc line on top...

I notice that on the toolbar is a pulldown for "text" but any kind of action is greyed out... is that normal and would anything in that pulldown potentially help me here? I can't get it to ungrey even when i DON'T use autofill

Attachments

• Shape Change.JPG
    Shape Change.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Patent_gold_S.jpg
    Patent_gold_S.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 113

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i don't think you'll be able to do that....because it would mean calculating the diameter of the circle/arc for the text to fit on.....

Elisabetz

hmm... well, I'm going to keep messing around, and if I figure anything good out - I'll post it up here. I just wish there was a "max length" setting somewhere. Oh well. thanks everyone! I did get some ideas, but all the ones I've tried so far haven't worked :p I'll be sure to let everyone know if I come up with something that does though!