• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Average pay

Gkgrafx

Hello everyone, i have a question that i am sure most people are interested in knowing. If you have been in the sign industry for 9yrs. And you are well experienced in all aspects of sign making, installations, wraps, printing, prepress etc. What should someone with that much experience be paid on an hourly full time basis? And do sign shops usually take advantage of people with this much experience? Why?

Gkgrafx

I would love to read all the different responses. I feel that alot of shop owners don't really compensate there employees the way they should. And usually end up burning out there employees.

DJr

Going rate here is between $25 and $30 an hour with that much experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gkgrafx

Going rate here is between $25 and $30 an hour with that much experience.

That i think is the correct rate. But who actually pays that?! I have yet to see a company willing to pay that much.

DJr

You have to be busy or it will kill you. We do a lot of sub contracting 1099 action as it's hard to keep these caliber of people busy and happy all the time.

ikarasu

Sounds like I need new employers ;)

I think it depends on where you live.And 9 years experience doesn't always mean you're good. A guy was working at my current place of employment for 10+ years...And I came on about 1.5-2 years ago. Within a week I was making less mistakes as he was, and knew more about the machines than he did. I spent countless hours researching on my own time, and I had a knack for it because of my background. He probably wasted more material in 1 month, than I have my whole time working there.

then of course a sign maker in California needs a lot higher cost of living than a sign maker in a place that's 1/10 the cost.

There's also how much proffit / income the business is taking in. You may be worth $20-30 an hour... But if he can't afford to pay you that due to slow business / it being a small company... you likely wont make anywhere near that.

I live in Vancouver, Bc... I've seen ads paying minimum wage for people with 1-2 years experience, and then I've seen some shops offering $30 an hour for people who have minimal experience with wrapping cars... all training provided. Way too many variables in this business for an average pay I think.

kffernandez

just a tangential follow-up question to the OP's concern:
would you be paying yourself [owner] that amount if you were hands-on and also do the same work?

Billct2

Where are you? Look on one of the big employment sites what similar experience in similar businesses pays in your area.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Just read some of the posts here on Signs101. Sign makers seem to have a common hate for employees. They want employees to act as if they own the business but pay them minimum wage and then wonder why they don't care enough to stop making so many mistakes. It's probably because the guys who are good at it open their own shops and the guys who just need a paycheck move from shop to shop and town to town until their options run out.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just read some of the posts here on Signs101. Sign makers seem to have a common hate for employees. They want employees to act as if they own the business but pay them minimum wage and then wonder why they don't care enough to stop making so many mistakes. It's probably because the guys who are good at it open their own shops and the guys who just need a paycheck move from shop to shop and town to town until their options run out.

Not the ones I know. I'm very grateful for my employees and I compensate them for it. Without them I wouldn't be halfway where I'm at now. Sure sometimes there is waste, there are mistakes, there are weaknesses.. but everyone has them. I get way more mad at myself when I make a mistake then an employee. Now if they are just really not a good fit then they don't work anymore.

AKwrapguy

Up here is Alaska for a decent installer $17-$25 an hour. Where I'm at now it's low mid-low $20's but I get year round work and 5-10 hours of OT each week for most of the year. I also have Medical, Dental, and Vision for my self and wife (the company will pay 100% of the premiums for employee, spouse and up to two children) The also have profit sharing and pension plan they they contribute towards and doesn't come out of the base salary.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
You are too vague on your qualifications....
-- Are you a print installer? Or experienced in all types of installation like, architectural signs, electrical, interior/exterior signs?
-- Is your experience from shops that did jobs correctly?
-- Can you weld, paint, fabricate dimensional letters/cabinets, electrical?
-- You any good?

Some employers are very fair, some not so much, I ALWAYS say... you are in charge of your career path, never... NEVER allow an employers to dictate your path... if you re not getting paid enough, it's really on youth find a better place to work, or open your own shop...

If you are a garden variety 'print" installer of average skill and competence, I would think 12.50 - 20.00 an hour in your area....

If you can do other types of installation and fabrication with average competence, 15.00 - 25.00

If it were me, have someone review where you are at, and how to get paid more by directing you to skills that have a higher pay rate.

Gkgrafx

You have to be busy or it will kill you. We do a lot of sub contracting 1099 action as it's hard to keep these caliber of people busy and happy all the time.

That makes sense. Either way that's a good rate coming from miami to texas

ams

$20 if you are new to the shop. After a year of being at the shop and learning their way to do things, $25. However it also depends on how large of a company it is. A $500,000 sales company should pay about $18, whereas a $5,000,000 company should pay $25 - $27.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
$20 if you are new to the shop. After a year of being at the shop and learning their way to do things, $25. However it also depends on how large of a company it is. A $500,000 sales company should pay about $18, whereas a $5,000,000 company should pay $25 - $27.

Just so I have this right.

The same person with the same talent is worth more if he/she works in a big shop vs. a smaller shop ?? Their experience is suddenly worth that much more, if a big shop has an opening ??

After 1 year, you give an employee over a $10,000 raise ?? They came to you with a certain amount of expertise, why would a year suddenly give them that kinda raise ??

Again, someone grossing 1/2 a million vs. someone grossing 10 times that amount (or almost 950%), but the wage only goes up about 45% or 1.5 times ??

You can't even keep your employees based on your earlier posts, let alone you customers. Who are you to spout off numbers like this ??

Last edited:

Geet Faulkner

in Fla. $10-15 is what they expect you to work for in most areas... but a good shop will pay more like anywhere else in most places.
Denver $20-25.

Christian @ 2CT Media

This makes little to no sense. The SIZE of a company should have no bearing on the pay of an employee. Compensation should always be based on skill, experience, certain work traits, and essential asset to the company.

printhog

In markets with high costs, the rate will be high, in small towns it'll be low. In general for 10 yeasr experience, it'd be right at the average income level for the graphics trades +-10%. If the person has additional skills that benefit the business they may skew higher. US data by county is at the link below, select the year, search Industry for sign manufacturing. If there is no labor reported the county will not show up.

QCEW Data Views

Payscales are directly related to the performance of existing businesses as a mathematical model in their market. Simply put - pay is based on what local sign businesses can afford, not what an employee wants to earn. Larger sign firms are usually more specialized (market niche) and efficient. That niche flows to the shop's labor needs. So these shops usually pay more, whereas a smaller shop is more likely to be a catch all of work types and not as efficient. (Think race car vs minivan).

The rule of thumb I use is based on SBA and SCORE classes for bank funding. The business goal is to keep direct labor's share of gross sales below 30%. So an employee at bare minimum must produce at least 3x their gross pay including employer costs, benefits, and contributions - which in reality is closer to 5x their take home pay for them to understand it best.

Keeping labor at 30%, and cost of goods at 20%, keeps the business in the minimum performance zone for a bank to loan to it. The 50% of gross remains to cover overhead, ROI on the initial business investment, taxes, interest, depreciation, growth, and pay the owners' salary.

Pay is always negotiable, but it helps to know what the average worker in your area makes, and how it relates to a generally accepted business model, both for employers and employees.

Last edited: