• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery 2050 matte translucent print problems - ADVICE?

SignProPlus-Chip

OK,

This is the first time I have ever really had material not take ink properly. I'm printing on 60" rolls on my HP L26500. The center 40 inches or so print PERFECTLY, but the sides are mottled and you can see the ink is not being accepted well by the vinyl as it's beading up. What I did notice is that you can see the Avery logo in the spots that have been printed on. It looks like while wound up, the branded side of the backer has affected the printing surface of the vinyl. Some kind of contact contamination?

Wiping with alcohol helps and seems to resolve the whole issue, but I have a LOT of large backlit sign faces to print, and wiping down sections of the roll before each print seems highly inefficient.

I should mention the current roll I have is a replacement roll from Fellers as the first roll had the same issue.

Any advice of printer setting etc? Or do I need to send this roll back too?

Yep, contaminated media. Very frustrating. I guess I've been lucky because it had never happened to me until I got some bad Oracal 3951 a few months ago. I spent a full day thinking it was a profile/heater issue until I figured it out. Judging from recent posts on here, it's unfortunately getting more commonplace.