• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Avery Digital Film Class

Ryan Scott

Hey all,

I work for a company that right now is strictly signage but we really want to get into vehicle wraps. I have assisted doing wraps in the past at other shops I've worked at, so I have some knowledge of it, but it's been a while. My boss approved me to take the Avery class that's coming through my area this year with Justin Pate, and I'm super stoked. I wanted to see if anyone else has taken the class and maybe see what you got out of it, did it help you, was it overwhelming etc. and also does it sell out pretty fast? Mine is a few months out and my boss is wanting to wait until the first of the month to register because of billing and all that jazz, but if I can convince him it will sell out quickly I can get myself registered now.

Pretty loaded question and I apologize if this has been asked a million times in the past, but your input really helps!

ExecuPrintGS

I will also be taking the digital films class coming up in a few months. Everyone i know who has taken it has said its worth it.
I do quite a few wraps every year and still think the class is worth it, any tip or trick that saves me time is worth it.
Hoping to also take the advanced class if they have one up this way.

If you aren't already, get a TWI subscription, thats a great way to get ahead of the class a little if you are afraid of being a little overwhelmed.

3SixtySigns

I did the Avery class with Justin in Jacksonville last year. Highly recommend it. Make sure you don't stand in the background and watch. Lots of film there so use it. You also get a whole roll of 1005 delivered after course

C

ColoPrinthead

I have heard nothing but good things about the classes. I am going to see if my company wants to send me since they have discussed wrapping our fleet of vehicles in the past and I have only done easy partial wraps.

thanks for bringing it up, I had not seen any close to the Denver metro last time I checked.

The only complaints I heard are from people who didn't pass the certification at the end of the class, Justin Pate is a tough critic. I almost failed on the first section because the film angle shifted and I had one bad cut (you couldn't see it on the dark blue car, but if it was white it would have been noticeable so I was docked).

It really helped me with corners, door handles, bumpers, antennas, inlays, and also workflow. He's very open to questions, suggestions, trying different approaches right there in the class...

It's a pretty good bet that it will sell out, if your boss doesn't want to do it right now you should see if the local supplier hosting the class will let you know when there's only a few spots left and sign up then.

Considering the class is pretty much free after they give you the 1/2 roll of film, I'd say it's win-win.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Don't wait for your boss to sign you up. Sign up on your own, and get the time off. IF he's willing to reimburse you for it, even better.
It's YOUR education.
I've taken it twice over the years mostly for the booty (over $700 materials for a $350 class back then) and took the certification test as well.

I will say, both times I took the "advanced" class, it was full of beginners and he catered to them, so I didn't get as much out of it as I'd hoped but he let me mess with as much chrome as I wanted and I still picked up a trick or two.
I HIGHLY recommend subscribing to the Wrap Institute as well. Invaluable training in a convenient video format. Can't beat it.

DunbarPG

I attended the Advanced wrap class with Justin Pate in Cincinnati a few years back. It was really helpful. Justin is an excellent teacher and a vinyl wizard.

Bly

I did one here with Justin that wasn't really hands on - more him showing a few techniques but it was well worthwhile.
+1 to getting a subscription to the Wrap Institute videos.