• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Awning paint.

Steve C.

I've painted a lot of canvas awning with oneshot lettering enamel. Never had
to paint out old lettering. I was thinking either latex or one shot poster. What
do you recommend? Its a black awning and I have some black latex but would
need to order poster if I use that. What have you used?

iSign

naz-dar PX series. three times thicker then 1-shot, and designed to retain enough flexibility to be suitable for garments or awnings

iSign

I have a quart of PX24, but it's gloss. And it's flock adhesive??? I'll see if it
comes in a flat.

Steve, if you are going to contact Naz-Dar, ask about this "Naz-Dar Universal Flattening Powder" number SIPI413 that I have...

I bought a gallon (about $100 after freight I think) for a job that fell through... never used a spoonful...

would sell for next to nothing (plus freight) if you could use it...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Over the years, I used all kinds of paints. None of them held up any better than the other. About 25 or so years ago, I decided to go with latex and haven't really looked back since. I have an awning that still looks good after about 12 years. Actually, the paint has held up well, but the sunbrella has gotten very dirty and looks ratty.

JR's

I like the Naz-dar 59 series and its flexible ( wont get cracks in the letters)

in or area when we used latex it became chalky in about 2 years. we might of bean using the wrong latex.
JR

John Butto

canvas

If it is canvas or Sunbrella and it has lettering already on it which was painted on you should give the lettering a slight sanding, because the lettering will be raised after you paint it and you want to get some of it down and it also makes the primer stick better. and then mix some of your black latex with the Zinsser waterbased primer because black on the white is hard to cover, and after it dries put on your latex topcoat. If you use satin latex it will take vinyl letters or one shot.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:Oops: my bad.

I just realized that you were covering over some old lettering. :covereyes:

I've rarely did that. Most of the time, I just got a price from my awning guy to replace the lettered areas with new panels. It's not that expensive and it looks better in the long run.

Steve C.

Guess I'll go with the latex since I have some on hand. and I figured to
coat over the existing lettering twice. I told the client that the old lettering
will probably ghost through, but he doesn't care. Thanks!

Steve C.

:Oops: my bad.

I just realized that you were covering over some old lettering. :covereyes:

I've rarely did that. Most of the time, I just got a price from my awning guy to replace the lettered areas with new panels. It's not that expensive and it looks better in the long run.

Thanks for that Gino, I'll call my awning guy.