Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Awning repair

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by SureFireSG, Feb 4, 2020.

1. SureFireSG

SureFireSG New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Moose Jaw, SK, Canada
    I have a customer looking to repair a fairly old awning that has ripped on the top. I am fairly new to awnings and I’m not sure if this is something over my head, or something really simple.

I was thinking of taking it down, and sewing in a long patch of new material across it and sewing it all back together.

I’ve also attached a picture of the damaged awning.

thanks in advanced! 2EF938B9-D0B6-49BB-A2B9-DCDD5CD704B6.jpeg

2. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    Take it off completely or totally replace it. It's so badly faded that it'll look like a patchwork quilt, unless that flap of material at the top is what used to be in front. But even then, the material is so badly UV damaged that I'd doubt the stitching would hold.

JB

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Not to mention, almost all the seams need repairs. I doubt it'll work without a hitch and the owner will hold you responsible. Not to mention the egg crates underneath look bad, too. Be better to tell the guy, it has to be replaced with a new one or something more up-to-date.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'd replace it with a slightly shorter awning, you can see how this one goes above the roofline, and probably leaked since day one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

I think this was covered in Matthew 9:16. "No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse." (NIV)

The old awning is toast. Repair is futile.

• Like Like x 2
  6. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    that things looks like it might be backlit...or was! You cant patch that sir its time to recover

• Like Like x 1
  7. SureFireSG

SureFireSG New Member

Jan 12, 2020
    Moose Jaw, SK, Canada
    Thanks everyone for your feed back, I'll let him know its toast and suggest other options!

8. Veeti

Veeti New Member

Oct 19, 2020
    California
    My awning tore at the attachment point about 10 years ago. I didn't trust the repair tape so I hand sewed it with Braided
    fish line (Fireline), then covered it with repair tape. About a year later the other side tore, so I did the same. Both are still holding.

9. Veeti

Veeti New Member

Oct 19, 2020
    California
    A few people might look for sun shelter and beauty in awnings, while others may look at adjustment features and installation methods. Measure the length of the surface in the locations where you want to install awnings. You can check on Beonhome for more info.