• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

axyz vs. multicam

artbot

i need to purchase a large cnc (6x10 to 6x12 or larger) and i'm hoping i can get some opinions on what might be the best OEM.

this machine would be used about two hours a day or less on average. bit changing not a must, mostly trimming and knocking down substrates. a tangential head would be a future upgrade.

right now, i am comparing axyz and muticam. those seem to be very common OEMs. the guy that is being hired for fabrication is most familiar with multicam.

thanks

SqueeGee

We had a 5 x 10 AXYZ with a rotary tool changer, 2nd Z axis and vacuum hold down. It was(and still is, even though we sold it) a great machine.

I also went to one of Dan Sawatzky's workshops and he had a MultiCam. It seemed equally well built.

I think it really comes down to who you're more comfortable with and how they price out.

BTW, we sold our CNC when we had an opportunity to purchase a building. It was underutilized and I needed the cash to help fund the purchase. I owned it about 3 years and was able to get about 55% of what I paid for it new.

Good luck!

artbot

in the past i looked at axyz as the "slightly better" machine.

john knott, the fabricator (very high end) had issues with one in the past and service techs to houston were an issue.

from one of his emails:
"All I know is when I moved in with this sign company a couple of years ago the had a Router Master that the mother board was shorting out on. After quite a bit of research I found out that Router Master had become AYXZ. The only contact I could find for them at the time was in Atlanta and whoever I talked to there said they were the closest techs to Houston. They wanted $8k to send someone out just to look at it."

currently there is an 8' x 14' axyz locally. i'm assuming shipping and installing any of these massive cnc's is pricey.

HulkSmash

in the past i looked at axyz as the "slightly better" machine.

john knott, the fabricator (very high end) had issues with one in the past and service techs to houston were an issue.

from one of his emails:
"All I know is when I moved in with this sign company a couple of years ago the had a Router Master that the mother board was shorting out on. After quite a bit of research I found out that Router Master had become AYXZ. The only contact I could find for them at the time was in Atlanta and whoever I talked to there said they were the closest techs to Houston. They wanted $8k to send someone out just to look at it."

currently there is an 8' x 14' axyz locally. i'm assuming shipping and installing any of these massive cnc's is pricey.

I've used both a multicam and a AXYZ. Multicam, in my opinion, is a much better machine. I'm talking about A league and B League. The support for the multicam is also top notch. I might get slammed by some for saying this, but I'd get a multicam over a Zund any day of the week. Just the sheer build of the multicam is impressive in itself.

SebastienL

Can't say if one is better than the other. I've worked only with a Multicam.

IMO, you need to consider which has better tech support, of course and, depending on materials you are going to cut, what type of motors it is equipped with; servo or stepper.

Retrofitting a tangential cutter after the fact may be way more expensive than having it installed from the get go.

Artbot, I've seen your work. I think you might want a "cut to registry" installed.

:toasting:

artbot

"cut to registry?" you mean like an i-cut system. with my shopbot, i print cross hairs or a tiny "trim to" line around the part, then i paint the cnc table with lasers from above. line the part up with the edge of the laser and go. it's usually accurate within 1/16". i suppose with a better laser i could drop a finer/brighter line on the table and really get anal about where i place the part.

rjssigns

I can't vouch for any brand of router, but I base my buying on the service. If you can't get service when you need it then the equipment becomes a boat anchor until help arrives.
Look around your area for a cabinet or door maker that uses CNC routers and ask them what they recommend, serviceability, tech support, etc... Those places usually beat the living whee out of their equipment. Just my .02

10sacer

IMHO - of the two choices - Multicam would be the way to go for what you will be doing.

The suggestion that was offered to find cabinet shops or woodworking shops to get their opinions is a good one. Have both AXYZ and Multicam give you a list of 10 local clients (within 100 miles) - that have their machines and will talk to you.

If it were me and they couldn't even give you 10 clients - that would be an area of concern surrounding territorial service availability.

What you really want is a Zund - but thats a different discussion...

SebastienL

"cut to registry?" you mean like an i-cut system. with my shopbot, i print cross hairs or a tiny "trim to" line around the part, then i paint the cnc table with lasers from above. line the part up with the edge of the laser and go. it's usually accurate within 1/16". i suppose with a better laser i could drop a finer/brighter line on the table and really get anal about where i place the part.

Yes, exactly. We use Icut. I kinda douted you had you own way of acheiving this! Icut actually works with a camera that read printed registration marks.

SignManiac

Ten years running strong with 5x10 multicam. No major problems at all and tech support is an hour away if needed.

artbot

@sebstienL i need to come up with a cool name for my laser set up. if anyone needs some kind of low budget registry, i'd high recommend using this system.

about $100 at harbour freight and you're good to go. just mount them at the corners of the cnc out of the way. mine get mounted on a little 2x4 extension off the table.

Attachments

• SC93066.jpg
    SC93066.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 498

SebastienL

Artbot's registry system
Lasermatic registry
LaserReg
LaserLinor

If I think of sometin' else, I'll let you know...

:clapping:

rfulford

It may be worth considering that Multicam is headquartered in Dallas Tx about 5 hours from you. AXYZ would be about 14 hours. This could come into play if you have to call for a tech.

SignManiac

I set up a x-y axis laser many years ago. I bolted an upright double arm post off of my home zero position above the table and it worked like a charm. Printed a fine line rectangle around my print and lined it up with the laser lines. Low tech but it worked great and was fast.

artbot

one trick i'd do for lining up would be to drill the home position in the drop are to the table. then pivot the opposite corner to square it up. an i-cut can just go find the part. but what's the fun in that? all this blasted technology and robots taking over the world and I****##+(&*&_+++.....

marcinito

bit changing not a must, thanks

Forgive me for interupting your thread but are you refering to tool changer ?

I used Multicam SF, MG and 3000 series for past 13 years and two things I can share with you is that
-CNC without tool changer is a mistake no matter what you plan on cutting.
- Multicam makes some amazing CNC machines.

artbot

the axyz that i'm looking at has the quick change head (like an atc but without the rack). ...just set the bit below the spindle and it pops in. it also has a second cutting spindle next to the main for drilling or a bit #2. my ancient shopbot has two heads on it similarly.

k.a.s.

I've had a Multi Cam for 10+ years, good machine overall, and you don't have to have a tool changer its nice but not a must.

Kevin