• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

back cutting decals is leaving small surface scratches

Brian46

We are using an envision 375 and noticed that when using the back cut feature we are getting small scratches on the laminate from the material dragging over the machine.

I replaced the cutting strip and it did not help. Has anyone noticed this and is there something that you could use to cover where the material drags that will no get jammed in the machine?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Brian46

I agree with the reply above if I run the back cutt before I laminate then it will just scratch the print surface which will be worse.

It will also take longer to complete each run

Thank you for the suggestion though

signage

Then you will need to figure out what is causing you to get scratches!I haven't had any issue when back cutting

Brian46

Update on scratches.

I figured I would post an update incase anyone has had this problem.

Took some pictures of the machine and sent some scratched laminated prints to gerber.

The response was to try and
use a polishing cloth on the base that holds the cutting strip. Actually the first suggestion was the cutting strip but that is new.

If the polish does not work they suggested using a piece of the laminate over the surface the the material runs across.

The polish did not work. The surface area next to the cutting strip looks nice and shiny now though.

Tried the laminate to cover the area and this would not work either as laminate to laminate against each other just catches couldn't even try this.

I will contact Gerber again if anyone else has any suggestions Im all ears

player

I figured I would post an update incase anyone has had this problem.

Took some pictures of the machine and sent some scratched laminated prints to gerber.

The response was to try and
use a polishing cloth on the base that holds the cutting strip. Actually the first suggestion was the cutting strip but that is new.

If the polish does not work they suggested using a piece of the laminate over the surface the the material runs across.

The polish did not work. The surface area next to the cutting strip looks nice and shiny now though.

Tried the laminate to cover the area and this would not work either as laminate to laminate against each other just catches couldn't even try this.

I will contact Gerber again if anyone else has any suggestions Im all ears

Wax the laminate to see if that fixes it, if so find a thin Teflon type sheet that can be stuck there instead...?

Also try looking at the area with jeweler magnifying glasses to find a burr or a sharp edge...?

Brian46

Thank you Player, I will give those a shot. The teflon sheet sounds great. Ill post an update afterwards.

Brian46

Update

Update:

Im drawing my own conclusion that the manufacturer of the laminate changed their formula and the laminate is much softer resulting in easy scratching.

I found an old scrap piece that we had from some time ago before the scratching occurred and gave it a shot. No scratches.

Tried some other materials that we use the back cut with slit feature and same thing. No scratches.

Gerber support suggested doing perf cuts from the front on this material. Then pop out the decals. Still getting used to that process but Im sure once I work out the rules/settings that will be the way to go. Not sure how long the blade will last with this technique since you are cutting all the way through and touching the cut strip. Well see.

Thanks again for the suggestions