• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back ground paint to use on wood sign?

Josh Klassen

We are making a hand painted sandwich board that will be out in the rain a lot. Is there a good type of wood to use and a good type of background paint to use if we are lettering in 1 shot?

thanks

Jillbeans

If it were me, I would opt for an alumalite composite sign in a sturdy wooden frame.
If that is not an option, I always used ½" exterior plywood, A/C (means good on one side)
I cut it to shape with a handle in the top and legs on the bottom.
Sand all edges and seal them with tite-bond 2 wood glue.
Two coats of Kilz primer then a coat of bulletin or lettering enamel for the background.
You could even tape off an area and paint that portion with chalkboard paint.
Paint the backs flat black latex for a nice professional look.
Make sure you seal the bottom of the sign really well.
(I've even dabbed on spraybomb weather seal stuff with a Foamie)
The reason I never used MDO for these is that the paper finish on the top layer degrades much more quickly than plywood.
I use Ronan lettering enamel.
If using 1S avoid black, bright red, maroon, or imi gold as those colors seem to be the most problematic.
Love....Jill
PS
For hinges I always used galvanized ones from the hardware store, sometimes you have to "manhandle" and bend them so they lay correctly. I sealed those with polyurethene.

neato

I love the fact that your making this all by hand. The way Jill described is exactly how I would do it too.

Billct2

Jill's method, but we usually use aluminum hinge handles. All hardware should be thru bolted.