• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Back Lighted main by hand.

Craig Sjoquist

Here is a 8ft wide by 6ft tall, main part is all hand drawn & cut & outlined, all in translucent Oracal vinyl.

Attachments

• april 8 13 014.JPG
    april 8 13 014.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 91
  • april 8 13 011.JPG
    april 8 13 011.JPG
    275.3 KB · Views: 80

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very nice. Looks very tedious. Why wouldn't you cut this on a cutter ??

I have some other questions, but you probably wouldn't appreciate them.

anotherdog

Ha! not hard enough, now do it again blindfolded with a blunt breadknife.

It is hard to belive that that whole sign is hand cut.

Craig Sjoquist

Yes the bottom is plotter cut.

Gino main reason I've not learn to assemble that in Corel Draw yet fully or fast enough.

Questions how ever they are will answer, that is how to learn, critique is great one of the reasons I put it up to see so I can improve.

I have less then 20 hrs total which included scaffold set up & 4 hrs old vinyl removal & cleaning of all faces.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My main questions was this......
Why didn't you treat some of your red borders like this and create a sorta depth perception with some of the outlines ??
craigs red fillins.jpg
You always seem so in tune with this kinda thing, I just thought I'd ask. :thumb:

Did you make a large pen mask to cut everything on the face itself ?? Or did you pre-cut everything on backer and assemble in full by layering ??

John Butto

Did you cut all the vinyl before you went up there, or put the vinyl down on the face, and then cut it.

Craig Sjoquist

Gino ... Why not indeed would have made it look better indeed for just 20 mins work
Thank you .. when the posts & fake timber with rope time comes up I'll border the sign in red ..likes that idea alot.

John both methods are easy, on this I drew out paper pattern, perforated, cut all vinyl & colors, weeded, transfer paper, applied using water since it was 2ft rolls across,the seam just at bottom beginning of serifs of BOAT.

Applying bottom roll 1st taped every thing in place, let it set over night, removed transfer paper.

Apply vinyl before is also easy & if your good at not cutting the plastic or it does not matter cause of age of plastic.

Myself ..Rather cut ahead of time like on this yes I still had to cut vinyl to match perfectly & my cut marks are very light so dirt should not build up hopefully.