• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Backlight Printer

chafro

Hello guys.

We print many high-quality backlights on our company in our Large format LX850 Latex printer. Many rolls per month.

We are going to have to throw away our perfect working HP printer because they are discontinuing inks and spare parts. Im not very happy with HP because of this and many things over the years.

We have a couple of UV swissqprint flatbed printers that are work horses. They made me realize that the bad reliability of HP is not normal. UV print good backlights but they look more grainy than latex.

If there another good technology to print good backlights? the cheaper the ink the better. I know epson can do amazing backlights but they are not price competitive on high volumes. Any ideas? Ecosolvent, solvent, etc?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'd get samples from Epson, Roland, Mimaki and Mutoh. Ecosol printers can print great backlits but Mimaki also has a roll to roll UV printer that prints high quality. With ecosol and UV you are looking at about 0.15 - 0.35 per square foot using OEM inks. You can cut that down with aftermarkets if it's still too high. If you print high volumes most dealers will give you a discount too.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
What does the width need to be? Our Colorado does super fast backlits (20m/sq an hour, what’s that, 215sqft?) but it’s only 64”. The inks are very cheap and the print quality and gamut are amazing. This thing chugs through rolls of vinyl a day for us no problem. You’ll also have the choice between Matt and gloss finish if you get the 1650.

Plus the machine has been amazingly consistent. That helps a lot!

I wouldn’t discount UV right away. The mimaki UJV55-320 is 3.2m wide and literally has a built in lightbox for you to check the output of backlits as they’re printing. Not sure about the speed or price of inks though!

Ahmed Samy Nagada

More than 70% of our work is backlit film, we use 3 stone age old HP Z6100, 2 Epson 9700 & one R2R U.V printer. Best quality, speed & cost is the HP Z6100 followed by Epson then U.V.
Tried lots of backlit film on Mutoh 1624 using Eco Solvent and UMS OEM ink, nothing can match the vibrancy and colour gamut of water based BL.
I'm like you, I won't buy any HP latex after my L260 although I advise you to check the new HP Z printer series or Epson water based series.