Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backlit sign box

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by nopalito24, Aug 30, 2012.

1. nopalito24

nopalito24 Member

Feb 4, 2010
    So Cal
    hey fellas/gals,
    Hopefully I'm in the right page to post this but I have my first backlit sign box project to do, was going just copy the the way the sign is made now which is translucent vinyl on 1/8in. acrylic. But I have access to a large format printer and have some backlit film. Question: what is the best way to do this? my idea is to print image, then reprinted again in mirror mode,-then w/ some adhesive(which I'm not sure what kind of adhesive)stack the images back to back, then pasting the graphics on a white acrylic sign face to slide in to the sign box. Does this sound ok? again I have not done this type of sign before but it is not that big so It is doable for me, I've read this mirror type application on this site before-or can I just print 2 graphics w/out mirroring then pasting them back to back? will the backlit film together w/ the acrylic make it too dark at night?
    any- any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.:thankyou:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    print on white trans, apply first surface to white acrylic (I suggest 3/16" rather than 1/8") - then mirror print on clear, apply second surface

3. nopalito24

nopalito24 Member

Feb 4, 2010
    So Cal
    first of all..thanks for the suggestions. any recommendations as to the adhesive to use?

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    just use...vinyl...comes pre-adhesived

5. 940AC

940AC New Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Try and use 2447 white acrylic if you can. It's a "milkier" white and will help disperse the light better, which in turn should make a better looking backlit image.
    2447 is a recommended white for LED applications.
    You can print on an Arlon 6500, IJ3630, Oracal 3850 and do just fine with first surface application.

6. nopalito24

nopalito24 Member

Feb 4, 2010
    So Cal
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion, that is exactly the acrylic type pc. that I have so its great into. I also have a roll of back lit film which is not adhesive back hoping I can use to avoid buying media so I'm currently playing w/ different saturation setting for the print. Since I don't have adhesive vinyl is there an adhesive spray or which ever type that you recommend? one that will hold over time w/ the hot weather here in SoCal?

again thank you all very much for taking the time.:thankyou: