• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion backlit translucent

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So, I'm printing window graphics for a customer on translucent. I would like to laminate it. The customer likes the effect of the graphic with a matte finish. I know what you are thinking. Why not get a matte laminate, Geneva?
Perfect, which one would you recommend that would not take away from the effect of the graphic? which matte laminate would be the best for translucent printing?

Also, I used orajet 3850 for a sample, but I need to know if you guys have a better one that you use?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We offer luster lam on most of our backlit prints. If the client wants matte, we of course are able to do that as well. The luster is a nice in-between and I believe it enhances the backlit some over dead flat matte. We use Briteline UV at about 120-125° on our laminator.

Inks

Good point Bill, a lustre may be an option if that is the finish the customer wants.

Isn't that Briteline UV a 4 year product? He may need a 7 year laminate to match the 3850's 7 year rating.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Good point Bill, a lustre may be an option if that is the finish the customer wants.

Isn't that Briteline UV a 4 year product? He may need a 7 year laminate to match the 3850's 7 year rating.
Does the 4 year vs 7 year matter if it's being done in an indoor office? no outside lighting will hit it.

Inks

Does the 4 year vs 7 year matter if it's being done in an indoor office? no outside lighting will hit it.
As I read it the job is for window graphics and if this the case it may matter.
Translucent is usually backlit or windows and yes it would matter unless the customer is satisfied with a 4 year product which is a pretty good time frame for a window graphic in most cases.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
As I read it the job is for window graphics and if this the case it may matter.
Translucent is usually backlit or windows and yes it would matter unless the customer is satisfied with a 4 year product which is a pretty good time frame for a window graphic in most cases.
I'm the one doing it. and the window is a wall of windows separating a conference room and an entrance into the office.

Attachments

• conferenceroom.jpg
    conferenceroom.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 101

Andy D

We offer luster lam on most of our backlit prints. If the client wants matte, we of course are able to do that as well. The luster is a nice in-between and I believe it enhances the backlit some over dead flat matte. We use Briteline UV at about 120-125° on our laminator.

Just a FYI, I used Briteline UV for years, but got in Arlon 3420S in to try & I like it much more, mostly because the backing paper is much thicker
which makes laminating easier.
It costs me about $8 more, but it's a 5yr. vs the 4yr Briteline has.

Inks

Orafol also has luster, labelled as SG for all of their laminates. They have top shelf laminates!