• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Backlit

SALVATORE

I need a little help, we do no not do back lit application here, But we have a customer that wants us to do some Acrylic panel with translucence vinyl , we would like to just print here with our Mimaki eco solvent, my question is , should I use Clean backlit material or white?? any help appreciated.

Thanks at advanced

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most of the manufacturers make translucent vinyl which makes the opacity about 20% less for cast or calendared. Not much on a backlit sign. However, there are many ways and techniques to getting the colors where you want them and using the clear is one of them.

DropZoneSpec

I'm curious as well...we're in the same place. The one backlit I have done was just translucent over the face of clear acrylic; however, all of my research suggests you'd want to do that plus a mirrored image printed on clear perfectly registered with the face graphic, increasing the color vibrancy at night. Laminating the face would also be advisable.

I'm definitely following this thread

daveb

General Know-it-all
Definitely layered and personally I like going second surface on clear with a reverse print on white behind it. No need for lamination AND it will last a lot longer.