• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Encoder strip. Can I still cut?

Goatshaver

My encoder strip on my SP-540V is definitely bad. Can I still cut jobs that I've already printed??

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On that same machine..... I doubt it, unless you're thinking about doing it by hand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your print was printed askew, I highly doubt your cutter will do the same, in the same fashion. Your registration marks won't line up to where the prints are now located. Besides, anything printed with a bad strip or eye, probably isn't worth trying to salvage, anyway. Type machine doesn't really matter, this is basic encoder 101.

And yes,literally cut them by hand while holding and guiding a knife of some sort. :covereyes:

Goatshaver

They were printed before the strip was bad.

I didn't know if it just used the crop mark sensor and data from the file for position. Guess I'll just have to wait for the new strip.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Give it some time. It's only been less than an hour since you first asked. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in for you. We have the same machine, but never had anything sitting around so long after the strip went by to experiment with. Why not try one and see ??

Goatshaver

Ok So cutting is unaffected as long as the printing and marks are good.

I can print uni-direction, but the print and cut marks print with bi-direction and they get slurred. Anyway to get around that? haha

And who is a reputable supplier I can get this from without waiting 3 weeks like I did with digiprint.

Last edited:

Goatshaver

Have you tried flipping the encoder?

Just my .02

I have not. Can you enlighten me on this...specifically which way to I flip it?

Sorry as I'm learning to service this machine because Roland doesn't support it anymore and I def. cannot afford a tech.

GTSTech_1

It requires you to remove the encoder (Remove the spring side 1st), once its' out then you will need to attach the bracket that was on the left to the rightside, make sure the bottom of the encoder is now the top when returning the encoder to it's home.