• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Fire Evacuation Maps

Big Rice Field

Electrical/Architectural Sign Designer
Here is an example of a poorly designed Fire Evacuation map. Fire evac maps have to be thoughtfuly designed. Remember that these maps are usually only looked at when there is an actual fire. People are in a panic situation.

The map should be simplified and should show clearly two routes of exit form the location of where the map is.

This photo show s a map that is useless as it has arrows scattered all over the map, and does not clearly show a route of exit.

Attachments

• 20170731_134944_HDR_Film4.jpg
    20170731_134944_HDR_Film4.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 626

VinylSlayer

I agree. I did a 6 floor courthouse last month with 3 stairwells and 3 elevator shafts. I thought it would be easy to figure out where the Fire Emergency Exit plaques went just by looking at the diagram on the plaques themselves. I couldn't have been more wrong. Not even a "You Are Here"

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Lets see...

--No Clear Exit Route and requires 2 options
-- Missing "Looks Like" information
-- Missing "Sounds Like" information
-- The "Do not use" copy is not compliant
-- The Stairwell is missing required information for Roof Access and stair number
-- The map needs to be oriented to how the person is viewing the sign
-- Does not map out Alarm Pulls, if I remember right, there are some in that building
-- Missing 911 and contact info
-- Some copy looks too small. (3/16" min. on minor information)
-- Is it big enough? - Previous requirements are that the sign is a min of 12" x 12"
-- Missing address

Ummmmm so who's fault is this?
A few things are obvious...
-- The designer is clueless on the requirements for a Title 19 Sign.
-- Since this a Hospital, there are regular inspections (OSHPD and Title 19)
-- These signs are required by law to be inspected prior to install. so, the inspector(s) is/are clueless.
-- Then I go to the LAFD website to try and find info on Evac Map layout requirements for LA county... nonexistent
-- I find some info on Stairwell signs and the information is incorrect.

It's been years since LA and county made any of their requirements accessible... on top of that, they make it impossible to get inspections and the inspector is usually clueless on the sign requirements. This was not always the case... they had regular updates on their website and a handy guide on how the process worked. The only legitimate sources I could find in the state is San Francisco, Orange County and San Diego... San Diego is very vague... OC has updated information, San Francisco now require all copy to be 5/8"... it makes Evac map signs HUUUUUGE!

Johnny Best

Usually, and I use that term loosely, the lights will go out when the fire alarms start. Emergency lights and exit signs will be lit and sometimes flashing to show the way to the stairs. One elevator will work from a backup generator so firemen can use that one.
But states vary and building codes change or remain the same. New York has the strict building codes on that subject since 9 11.

And people in California ( Rick, Matthewotta ) will have different rules when they withdrawl from the US. Then there will be no federal funds for things like fire inspections and can make up their own ADA rules for signage and fire evacuation font sizes.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
In the majority of them that I've been a part of, the customer (usually the property manager or- if a new building, the GC) is too cheap to pay for the layout (because the ones who want it done never seem to have drawings of the buildings or anything you need) to be done properly, so they have their "marketing department" do a half-assed version like this one. You can tell them until you're blue in the face that it won't stand up to scrutiny and they insist it be done their way. Unless you're willing to refuse (and likely lose up the job- which is tough to do if it's part of a much larger package), you're kind of stuck.