• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Transfer Tape??

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
I am having a horrible time with the backing liner splitting into two when trying to lift the transfer tape off some holographic cut vinyl. Does temperature have anything to do with it? I am in a climate controlled room.....

Never had this issue before - especially if I go at a 45 degree angle to release, but this stuff is splitting and sticking to the back making it very time consuming to get it all off.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• transfertape.PNG
    transfertape.PNG
    499.7 KB · Views: 128
  • transfertape2.JPG
    transfertape2.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 95

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
I normally work with printed wraps - so going back to old school and layering some cut holographic vinyl on top of a wrap.

I put the sheet of holo - cut, weeded, applied the clear transfer tape.

I now flipped the piece over to remove the backing paper of holographic vinyl - however it is splitting into 2. Almost like the transfer tape isn't strong enough to hold the holographic vinyl down, while I peel back the release liner - thus it splits into 2 and leaves a film of backing paper from the roll of holographic on the back of the sticky side of the vinyl.

Did this for years in the past and never had an issue....

EmAEx

I'm having the same problem this week too, but with solid white cut vinyl... Our production guy isn't the brightest, so one thought has been he has the pressure too high, but since it's not cutting through the backing paper it's hard to tell if that's the problem.

He called Grimco, and they said they have recently heard complaints like this about their red vinyl, but not the white...they sent us a new roll, and we'll see today if it's any better. If it isn't then it's probably a pressure setting issue. I'll be the one attempting to install it again, crossing my fingers it goes better this time since the install is an hour away...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's not the tape, it's you. You can clearly see in your one picture, your knife blade is cutting far too deep into your liner. Lighten up and your problem should go away. Perhaps, your blade is dull and you're putting too much down pressure on it, due to the type of vinyl you're cutting.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Sounds good - like I said I don't use this roll of cut vinyl very often. I had a old GX-24 Roland cutter - had it dialed in for this stuff years ago. Now I just use my VersaCamm - blade is good, but apparently 145g is too much for this particular roll.

This stuff is picky - as I remember on my GX-24 experimenting and not having enough downforce and everything would be weeding fine except one or two spots and ruin the whole thing, unless I caught it quick enough and cut it myself with a knife.

0igo

yeah you are cutting too deep, really not a problem when you are using the regular transfer tape (non transparent). That clear stuff is such a pain in the a** seriously i hate it. sticks to everything and takes forever to get off. i have a roll i bought and still have a 50 yard roll i bought and used about 20-25 ft before i put it away and never touched it again.

Sounds good - like I said I don't use this roll of cut vinyl very often. I had a old GX-24 Roland cutter - had it dialed in for this stuff years ago. Now I just use my VersaCamm - blade is good, but apparently 145g is too much for this particular roll.

This stuff is picky - as I remember on my GX-24 experimenting and not having enough downforce and everything would be weeding fine except one or two spots and ruin the whole thing, unless I caught it quick enough and cut it myself with a knife.

When harder to cut materials like metallic polyesters and heat press materials begin to cut inconsistently from one spot to the next, you may want to check the wear on your cutting strip, too. You may already know this, but I figured I'd throw that out there. The GX-24 strips need replaced about every 3 to 4 years, it would seem.

yeah you are cutting too deep, really not a problem when you are using the regular transfer tape (non transparent). That clear stuff is such a pain in the a** seriously i hate it. sticks to everything and takes forever to get off. i have a roll i bought and still have a 50 yard roll i bought and used about 20-25 ft before i put it away and never touched it again.

I have no use for it, either. We still have probably about 90 yards of the R-Tape AT75 layoing around that will never get used.

T_K

That clear stuff is such a pain in the a** seriously i hate it. sticks to everything and takes forever to get off. i have a roll i bought and still have a 50 yard roll i bought and used about 20-25 ft before i put it away and never touched it again.

I've used it periodically for layering vinyl, mostly for one customer that owns a motorcycle shop. He always wants neon yellow on black layered vinyl. Never had trouble with the stuff after the first couple of uses, unless someone left the transfer tape on for a summer afternoon in the sun.

I wouldn't recommend it for regular use, since it's more expensive and not as conformable, but it's good for specific uses like this.

ams

I never liked clear transfer tape and still won't use it. It cracks on me. It's also slick and the adhesive doesn't stick well to the vinyl. But to each their own.