• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Baffling application tape problem

Gary&Christina

Hi guys,

We are a new company out of Springville, Utah, but I myself am not new to the industry, I've been working with vinyl, graphics, wraps and signage for 25 years, which makes this issue I am having even more puzzling, as I have NEVER come across this before:

I have some print and cut decals.

Some are printed and cut on 3M 40c with Oracal 210M lam for internal application - I've had great results with this.

Some are printed and cut on 3M IJ180cv3 with 8518 gloss lam for external application, as I've also had great results with this too.

Then I came to cover the print and cut logo's in application tape, as you do.

The application tape wouldn't stick to either the matte or the gloss!

I am using Transfer Rite 582U Ultra medium tack. It would almost fly away after squeegying. No tack whatsoever.

So I emergency ordered a roll of Transfer Rite 592U Ultra High Tack - this didn't stick to the matte or the gloss either!!! What the heck???

I've never had an issue with application tape before. I've never paid attention to what I was using because it always worked, it's always been a given - but this is fairly devastating to my time frame. I now have 24 hrs to find a tape that's stocked out here, get my graphics taped and go install.

Just to reiterate, print and cut decals, some with Oracal 210M matte lam, some with 3M 8518 gloss lam. Transfer Rite Medium or High Tack won't stick to it.

What are your thoughts/recommendations? Thank you in advance! Gary and Christina

(ps - we will do a proper introduction on the right forum once this install job is done)

ikarasu

Only thoughts would be your supplier and ask.

Its hard to say without seeing it. We use grimco brand for everything - 180/8518 works with it.... But there is a more pricier application tape that sticks better to air egress vinyls.

Application tape does not like to Stick to air egress liners. So if it's more liner than graphics that could be your problem.

https://www.grimco.com/Catalog/Products/3MSCPS55PrespacingTape something like this. You'll be paying double... But unless you do hundreds of ft of cut air egress it lasts a long time.

visual800

conform R series we stopped using transferite because of issues other than what you said but I just dont like it