• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banding AGAIN VS540i

lexsigns

im so at my wits end! Last time I had the techs out 5x they replaced all the dampers and said it was the print head ( which I did not replace)
Someone here said static so I got bands and humidifiers and it was fixed with the exception of being able to use the take up reel ( which is a major pain)
It's happening again and same customer job! I have done cleaning, slowed down speed, changed media profiles, calibrated the feed and bi directional, changed hear settings etc!!
The techs are not even calling me back- everyone is busy I know. Any help would be so very appreciated !

Joe House

If you could post a picture of the banding and the nozzle test print, it would go a long way to getting some help. Banding can be caused by a lot of things, just saying "banding" won't really help you get to the root of the problem.

lexsigns

Thanks Joe
I did a lot of cleaning and I got to work with a different Media if I use unidirectional so must be a calibration setting I hope. Even with that I can't use the take up reel or it makes big white streaks in the prints! Still waiting for a tech to get in touch. I have wasted so much time and material it's insane!

Attachments

• IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    838.2 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    569 KB · Views: 434

Joe House

I would adjust your Bi-Di simple setting to -2, then perform the detailed Bi-Di calibration. Also, it looks like your feed calibration is a little off, just from looking at your nozzle test print. Finally, the deflected nozzles in Black will wreak havoc on trying to print a smooth gray. After doing a good manual cleaning, using a flashlight to make sure that you're getting everything very clean, try a powerful cleaning and then see if you get any improvement in the nozzle test. If not, I'd suspect the captop and wiper and felt if they haven't been replaced in the last 6 months.

Good luck.

lexsigns

thanks! all good advise! I will wait for the tech. I can do some of that but not all myself.
Figures I am just about done paying for it!

ProPDF

First off the head design on that printer is a horrible, it's part of the reason Roland went back to per head per color setup. The head could need replaced even firing all nozzles. Your feed calibration looks off you need to tighten it up unless that gap in your nozzle check is from a head crash. Lower the middle print platen heat temp when printing try 0 degrees and go from there, raise the dryer temp if need be. For good measure always do a feed calibration when switching material and or using the take-up.

ProPDF

thanks! all good advise! I will wait for the tech. I can do some of that but not all myself.
Figures I am just about done paying for it!

If it's under warranty make them replace the head. If it's not buy a head from sign-in-china for $1600 and have them ship it express and get the techs to install it.

lexsigns

I have heard the heads are bad in them- Warranty is up!- I don't want to buy a new one but if I have to China sounds better! I dont think I ever had a head crash not really sure what that is but never had anything bad happen as far as I know. I can print better on uni directional but if I try the take up reel its makes huge white streaks- if I touch the vinyl to tape to table also makes huge streaks- makes it impossible to do big panels..ugh! So no or low heat to print? I usually use the media settings for calibration, heating and drying..
should i change in versa works or printer settings?

rjssigns

My SP540V was having banding issues among other things. Tech said it was the head. I posted pics of the issue and VanderJ said encoder reader. Less than 40 bucks later it prints like a champ again.
So now you know.

ProPDF

I don't use versaworks often so someone here could chime in with better directions on where to change the temperature exactly in versaworks. The goal is to lower the surface temperature on the middle platen where the ink gets laid down so it doesn't dry too fast. If the heat is too low it can cause ink to start mixing together, cause it's not biting into the media correctly. If the middle heater is too hot yes it can cause banding as well with a perfectly working printer.

A head crash is when the printer head hits the media you are printing on. It can leave a line of missing nozzles in your print head where the head slid across the material. The dealers look for shiny marks on the heads surface...when they see this they will not warranty your head but can also confirm for you why you are getting poor print quality.

Here is a copy of the link for the print head from China. Make sure to add a new cap-top and wiper if you get a new head.
https://www.sign-in-china.com/products/16851/vs_series_dx6_printhead_6701409010.html

If you do have a tech come back out....double check and ask them if the new dampers you just bought and paid them to install were primed. You have to get the air out of the dampers. Some techs who don't know what they are doing will try to slap them in....do a medium or powerful clean...get a good nozzle and small test print and leave...only to find out you send a long job and ink starvation/ banding is occurring do to improperly primed dampers.

ProPDF

My SP540V was having banding issues among other things. Tech said it was the head. I posted pics of the issue and VanderJ said encoder reader. Less than 40 bucks later it prints like a champ again.
So now you know.

Yes it can be this too but was unidirectional solving your problem though like it is hers? Usually when the encoder reader goes bad all modes have issues.

rjssigns

Yes it can be this too but was unidirectional solving your problem though like it is hers? Usually when the encoder reader goes bad all modes have issues.

It was variable. Sometimes one mode would be OK then not. Full failure was when it stair stepped, but prior to that it made random light spots and banding.

Not sure if that answers your question.

lexsigns

I'll have the encoder checked along with all the various other things it could be!
My help from last time seems to think I still may have some static issues especially with 3m material. I will send them pics of the set up tomorrow and see if they have any other advise. I'm ready to pull my hair out or beat the machine! Thanks for everyone's input and advise!! It is very helpful!

im so at my wits end! Last time I had the techs out 5x they replaced all the dampers and said it was the print head ( which I did not replace)
Someone here said static so I got bands and humidifiers and it was fixed with the exception of being able to use the take up reel ( which is a major pain)
It's happening again and same customer job! I have done cleaning, slowed down speed, changed media profiles, calibrated the feed and bi directional, changed hear settings etc!!
The techs are not even calling me back- everyone is busy I know. Any help would be so very appreciated !
Hi I have just seen this not sure if your sorted had exactly the same issue it was take up reel adjustment took the Tec 3 weeks and four visits we eventually tried ourselves manually feeding no take up reel and it stopped back to take started again retsnsioned and balanced take up reel now perfect

Good luck"

lexsigns

The tech was here and it "looks like" its could be the encoder- so waiting on it to come in... down over a week arghhh! I haven't used the take up in months because it would band- hopefully this will do the trick and I can print AND use the take up reel... thanks for all the help everyone!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If it's under warranty make them replace the head. If it's not buy a head from sign-in-china for $1600 and have them ship it express and get the techs to install it.

Much like the auto repair industry, most, if not all, official dealers will not touch a part that doesn't come from them. A majority of independent techs will either not touch that part or they will assume no liability if the part is installed and doesn't work. So while China is usually cheaper, the chances that you will find a tech to install it is much lower, they will probably charge you a higher service charge, you might end up having to do it yourself, and if it doesn't work, you get left with the $1600 paperweight. There are no charge backs to China because everything is bank wire. Obviously I am biased but I believe the comment above made it look like there was no risk at all and I just wanted to make sure people understand there is more to it than just, "Buy it in China and have the techs install it".