• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner fixation idea 48'x4'

Guimb0

I have a 48 x 4 feet banner to fix between to pole horizontaly.
This will be outside and printed on a mesh banner but i have no idea to fix the gravity problem will occur in the center.
Any idea was welcome !!!
Thank's for help

Billct2

The only solution I know (if the poles are strong enough) is a steel cable turnbuckled taut, preferably top & bottom and then grommets w/ hvy duty zip ties every 2 feet or so and heavy bungees to the pole at the four corners. Would cost more than the banner though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
With that size banner, even with perforation in it, you most likely will hafta use telephone type pole standards and use the cable system like mentioned. Otherwise, your banner will eventually pull the uprights inward, causing much sagging.

bannertime

With that size banner, even with perforation in it, you most likely will hafta use telephone type pole standards and use the cable system like mentioned. Otherwise, your banner will eventually pull the uprights inward, causing much sagging.

Unless you can put it between some concrete buildings you have permission to drill into. Otherwise, like Gino said. Then go back and check in about a month or two because the the pole will most likely settle and need the pole cables tightened up.

Guimb0

The only solution I know (if the poles are strong enough) is a steel cable turnbuckled taut, preferably top & bottom and then grommets w/ hvy duty zip ties every 2 feet or so and heavy bungees to the pole at the four corners. Would cost more than the banner though.
To make sure the zip ties don't break off with friction with a the steel wire ... What do you think I can use ? I plan to leave this banner for long term so ......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A banner this size should be finished with nylon webbing sewn into the hems, with gusseted corners. I would have spring clips sewn in about every 2 feet top and bottom and perhaps wire ties at the four corners to prevent it from sliding side to side.

ThatGuy

Here are (2) 27ft x 4ft mesh banner which have been up for several months and still look the same. These were made by signs365 with rope in the hem. We used heavy bungee cords for attachment to the poles.

Attachments

• Mt_View_Nissan (5).jpg
    Mt_View_Nissan (5).jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Mt_View_Nissan (6).jpg
    Mt_View_Nissan (6).jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 330

bannertime

Here are (2) 27ft x 4ft mesh banner which have been up for several months and still look the same. These were made by signs365 with rope in the hem. We used heavy bungee cords for attachment to the poles.

Do you like their mesh? When I got a sample, it didn't seem that strong. Would have only used it for fence banners.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nice example ThatGuy, but you can see you have a big sag in both of yours. The OP's banner is almost twice as long as yours and will have more sag than yours just due to the weight, let alone tension slowly leaving in a bungee.

It might not have been mentioned, but these cables some of us are referring to should be about 6' apart and as tight as can be. For that size, if you don't have one, you might wanna consider a 'Come Along Hand Cable Puller'. That should give you the tension you really need for something that long.

ThatGuy

We found the rope/bungee combo was sufficient for this install. I would agree that any larger and a cable system would be required. These have been up for over 6 months and still look the same.

As to the quality of the 365 banners, I have seen a few threads on here giving their quality a thumbs down but I personally have not had any negative issues. I did have a banner shipped without rope once but I took a picture of it and they shipped me a replacement immediately.

signbrad

spring clips sewn in about every 2 feet top and bottom

I like using spring clips, though I've never tried having them sewn in. I just hooked them through the grommets and onto the support cable. A cable will definitely eliminate sagging between utility poles. Even when a cable is not really needed, it can sometimes make re-installs at the same location a little easier if you're allowed to leave the cable in place permanently.
I have even used the cable method to install banners on walls by stretching a cable between screw eyes.

Brad

heyskull

WOW.
I fitted a banner flat to a building over January which was 48'x5' using a banner track system.
It was nice and tight but due to my on going argument with the client with regarding the bad weather and location this stayed up for a grand total of Three days!!!
Yes and as you will guess "The weather is my fault!" and they are withholding payment.
They can see me in court.

Due to the problems with this banner (or maybe weather) I will now only supply banners only and will not fit them.
Also based on the fact that a banner is a "temporary sign" No Guarantees are given whatsoever.

SC

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So it appears that I am not the only one who ignores the manufacturers warning on the bottom of those light posts that say they are not to be used to hang banners or fly flags from in any way.
I think the heavy cable top and bottom (shower curtain style) is a good idea but not from posts like those.

wayne k
guam usa