• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner hanging suggestions-Need a fix and a solid solution

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
So this banner was for a one day event, it's a 3'x18' double-sided 13oz banner(2 printed pieces hemmed and grommeted together). The problem was the weight of course causing it to sag in the middle. The solution was a steel cable run at the top and then zip ties to straighten it out. The client however did not want this and didn't understand why we couldn't just "stretch" it. Obviously that wouldn't work with that material. They want another banner that reads "Leasing" and don't want any cables or anything like that used. I'm thinking to make a banner with pole pockets at the top and bottom and run conduit through it. It will be printed true double-sided to save weight(decided to outsource that part).Also going to make the banner 3'x15' because 18' was to big between the girders. What about a poplin dye-sub banner? I could stretch that but it would probably fade fairly quick. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• BallPark-Bnr.jpg
    BallPark-Bnr.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 159

Christian @ 2CT Media

What we've done in the past is sew in webbing on the top and bottom and left about 2' of webbing on each side. We then attached ratcheting cam locks (2 on each side) to the poles amd ratcheted them tight. The church still uses this solution for all the banners we print as it works well. We got the cams from a boat supply company keyston bros or perfectfit, can't remember which as they both carry it.

sinclairgraphics1

What we've done in the past is sew in webbing on the top and bottom and left about 2' of webbing on each side. We then attached ratcheting cam locks (2 on each side) to the poles amd ratcheted them tight. The church still uses this solution for all the banners we print as it works well. We got the cams from a boat supply company keyston bros or perfectfit, can't remember which as they both carry it.

That sounds like it would work pretty well with the webbing and ratcheting. I'm almost to the point of turning this job down just because of how the client has been. They are however a pretty large company so it would be to my advantage to keep them happy. I'll have to look that place up and see what I can find out for the cam locks or any kind of ratcheting system.

sinclairgraphics1

It would be great to see a picture of your banner installed this way so I can show my client. Do you have something you could send?

Thanks

jfiscus

Rap Master
Sew webbing in top and bottom, take 4 ratchet straps and wrap them around the poles (to/from the same eyes) and tighten them down.
Make the banner fit within the pole width of course! (make it about 6" narrower actually)

Desert_Signs

While I'm sure that those particular poles (they look like steel C) are plenty strong enough to stretch the banner tight - be cautious when your customer demands 'tight'.

I had a customer that wanted a 4' x 40' banner strung between two light poles (3x3 square tube, thin gauge). I told them I wouldn't do it. I'd be happy to print a banner for them, but if they wanted me to install it, I would only install it on the building. They said they would put it up themselves, the poles were plenty strong enough. Nevermind the fact that the windload on the banner alone was likely too much for the poles.

Their maintenance guy ran 5/16" wire rope between the poles and used cable tensioners at both ends to pull the wire taught. Well, he bent the poles. Like noticeably bent. Put the banner up and the poles bent more. Tensioned it more. Poles bent more.

Long story shorter - they ended up with bent poles, no banner, and a pretty expensive bill. Because in the first windstorm, one of his cable clamps let go. Did I mention this was an automotive dealership? Did I mention the banner was stretched right across the front row of brand new cars? Did you know a 40' long banner whipping around with 5lbs of steel at the end will really mess up a row of cars?

Sure am glad I didn't put that one up.....

Z SIGNS

I walk away fast from customers and jobs that don't make any sense.

The moment they insist on some weird install or tell us how to fab and install
it's no thank you good bye.

What's their problem with a cable ?

Oh since i looked at the picture those poles look pretty beefy.

If it's double sided you could make one long banner and wrap the poles like a corsett

sinclairgraphics1

I walk away fast from customers and jobs that don't make any sense.

The moment they insist on some weird install or tell us how to fab and install
it's no thank you good bye.

What's their problem with a cable ?

Oh since i looked at the picture those poles look pretty beefy.

If it's double sided you could make one long banner and wrap the poles like a corsett

Yeah they're heavy duty steel beams. I'm thinking about turning down the installation since everything with the job has been a pain. There are cars that park under that banner for one, the poles are up about 18' and they won't budget to rent a scissor lift, I've already discounted the first banner, and they seem unsatisfied with everything.