• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner Sewing

OlsonSigns601

So those pole banners I asked about a few weeks back turned out to be a rush order so we did it in house and used a local tailor to sew them up.

I really didn't want to as we are super busy and pole banners take to long for us.

Now I'm getting more requests for pole banners and just like anything else, they want them now and I think we've got the process down to make them faster.

So I was looking into commercial sewing machines and came across the Juki Walking and looks like it would do the job but I really don't want to spend $1000 bucks on it.

Any thoughts on how long a $300 sewing machine from walmart would hold up?

CS-SignSupply-TT

Depends on the make and the specs. However, I have a customer who swears by/at his JUKI. The JUKI does a superior job. By the way, have you considered subbing the sewing to a commercial shop in Chicagoland?

g&eprinting

Grab the juki. Tried a cheaper singer before with twin needle and beat the hell out of it.
Thought it was going to die before I was done.

Was a 15 foot banner and it worked all the way around, had to hand roll force it through when it hit the corners with all the layers on 13oz 500 denier.

With another person helping pull it through. Never again.

piccadillysigns

My Wife works part time for a Digital print shop and uses a Juki all the time.
You can't use the commercial thread in those little machines it will Jam on you all the time.
Look after the Juki and have it serviced by a pro and you could almost sell it for what you paid for it! (like a Toyota :)
My 2 cents

WildWestDesigns

For sewing machines I like the commercial Pfaff machines. The ones that I'm talking about though are going to cost you more then the Juki, but they last and last and last. Too bad they let their patent expire on the walking foot.

OlsonSigns601

Thanks guys.

I guess I'll have to keep subbing it out for a little bit as we save up the pennies.

Perhaps I'll make a swear jar but instead of swearing it will be a F up jar. Every time someone Efs up, they'll put in a dollar. Should be at $1000 for the Juki in no time... unfortunately.

WildWestDesigns

If only these could be used for that type of work. They could make short work of banners.

Attachments

• Statler Stitcher.png
    Statler Stitcher.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 108

Typestries

We do a lot of double sided pole banners with stitched pockets.
Juki user here. Rock solid.

Presently looking for an additional double needle as well.

Go for it you wont be disappointed.

You need outdoor, UV thread too. Check out sailrite or trivantage.

Letterbox Mike

I'd grab that Juki too, that's a great price if it's in good condition. We love ours, wouldn't trade it for the world. you'll be surprised how quickly you will recover the expense.

bigben

Does all the Juki walking foot are the same? I have a contact who has one for sale and I know nothing on this subject.

Sorry for the :thread

smdgrfx

+1 on the Juki...I am glad I bought it. I asked the service guy what to expect as far as longevity. He said he doesn't know. Been servicing for 35 years and never met a Juki that couldn't be repaired. We love ours and sew everything with it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Definite nothing you can buy at a wal mart. Find a good used commercial machine. As mentioned Juki's are excellent but there are also other excellent brands like Some of the industrial Singers, Consew, Pfaff, and a few others. Walking foot, compound feed are mandatory for pulling heavy banner stock through. Also M size bobbins, some of the machines out there use the smaller L size which will annoy you to no end changing it all the time when it runs out in the middle of a banner. Must have a proper table for it as well with a bobbin winder. Another tip, the typical industrial machine clutch motors are a bit tough to control for a noob, if you can get one with a speed selectable servo motor you will not regret it.... got ours a couple of years ago, a private labeled Consew for about 600. Paid for itself many many times over. One of the best tools we have ever bought. The thing is easily 25 years old and runs like a champ. Most decent industrial ones will literally go for 50+ years.