• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner tips needed :0)

Guimb0

I will make a customer banner .
I ordred a blank banner 13 Oz. and after i will apply my own 3M vinyl IJ35 or IJ80 ...Witch best ?
But i want to know if i have to make a hole vent on it.
The project to do a 36'' x 20' or a 24'' x 20' im not sure a this time but it will be outside for sure.
Thank's for you're help !

J Hill Designs

wind slits are usually dictated by the municipality if its an 'over the street' banner

but usually they do more harm than good by creating points of weakness

idk 3m Vinyl products but all you need is calendered (dont need cast) vinyl on there, banners are not supposed to last a long time anyway, temp to short term.....

and you mean wind slits, if its open air (on a fence) you should have a few on there, not to many or it will weaken the banner material

ActionGraphics

Wind slits are worthless. I know customers sometimes require them, but this is because of misunderstanding. Consider. A 3' x 20' banner is 60 sq feet. Even if you put 40 6" wind slits in it (two rows, one slit every foot), this will only reduce the wind load by 10% or so. Figure around 6 square feet of release. 40 miles per hour wind equates to 36 MPH wind and the reduction of load is insignificant. You have seriously weakened the banner for little gain, as well as detracted from the appearance. The correct solution is make the banner correctly for the application and install it correctly.

AaronSSsignsKC

Wind slits are huge fail points and unless the customer requires them dont do it, and like the previous person said the vinyl you are talking about using is overkill. If it is a solid color I would suggest something as simple as oracal 751.

I tell all of our customers if they want a banner to last in high wind areas, mount it to plywood. The plywood is much cheaper than the banner and the banner will last ten times longer outdoors.

Lind SignSpring

Spring Tension cancels out wind strain

Wind slits look bad (in my opinion), and it can be extremely difficult to find other solutions for mounting a banner in high winded areas. Another solution is our Lind SignSpring product, BannerFrame, that uses spring based tension system.

Check out our website, or just ask your neighborhood sign shop about our the SignSpring system.

Marlene

I will make a customer banner .
I ordred a blank banner 13 Oz. and after i will apply my own 3M vinyl IJ35 or IJ80 ...Witch best ?
But i want to know if i have to make a hole vent on it.
The project to do a 36'' x 20' or a 24'' x 20' im not sure a this time but it will be outside for sure.
Thank's for you're help !

I wouldn't do an outdoor banner that is 20 foot long as a 13oz, I'd go with 18oz. is this single or double sided? if double sided, an 18oz blockout banner would have been the way to go so you don't see copy from the other side thru it. is it hanging over a street or on a wall?

Andy D

I agree with what everyone else said "wind slits suck" "13oz may not be tough enough"
"mesh is better if blowing in the wind".. we print our mesh though, not sure how well vinyl does on it.

If you need to put slits per customer instructions just make sure they're "Smiley Faces" not "Frowny Faces"

Also, make sure the Banner is hung correctly, I like to run a rope laced though all the grommets top and bottom and
connect the ends of the rope to heavy duty bungee cords. The Bungees are what tie the banner off and will stretch in the wind
helping prevent damage.

J Hill Designs

Attachments

• IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 143

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't laugh, when I was just starting out about 20 years ago I did the same thing

We all did, but that doesn't make it any less funny.

It's only people coming here being told not to do it, that have the experience of all of us, that still do it.... or question it.