• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners 101

bendeane

Is there a good resource for learning the lingo and methods for making banners? I'm about to jump in with a start up as operations manager and I'm new to everything. I hear words like substrate and backing tape and wonder, "what the heck is substrate (I've since figured it out)." I'm excited because I'm a creative person and I love making things. I know I can be good at this, but I just need a little guidance to begin with before I jump in. We will probably be making a lot of basic vinyl banners at first and then jump in pretty quickly to full color stuff. I know we'll have good equipment and the right resources from a hardware perspective, I just need some of the universal knowledge about banners and such to get me started. Thanks for the help.
Ben

Shovelhead

Is there a good resource for learning the lingo and methods for making banners? I'm about to jump in with a start up as operations manager and I'm new to everything. I hear words like substrate and backing tape and wonder, "what the heck is substrate (I've since figured it out)." I'm excited because I'm a creative person and I love making things. I know I can be good at this, but I just need a little guidance to begin with before I jump in. We will probably be making a lot of basic vinyl banners at first and then jump in pretty quickly to full color stuff. I know we'll have good equipment and the right resources from a hardware perspective, I just need some of the universal knowledge about banners and such to get me started. Thanks for the help.
Ben

Me too....especially cakes, cookies and biscuits.

:Coffee:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
it's kinda hard to just tell you everything about banners...and would probably get too overwhelming...why not ask a few specific questions, and we'll see what kind of answers we can come up with...

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod. I would first do a search on Signs 101 and read thru the hundreds of prior posts. That will lead you thru a bunch of previous questions and answers.

Mosh

I like just bought the best hammer and saw there is. I think I will start building houses. Can someone tell me how to do it, I know I will be good at it, I like making things. I know soon I will be building mansions.

Poconopete

I like just bought the best hammer and saw there is. I think I will start building houses. Can someone tell me how to do it, I know I will be good at it, I like making things. I know soon I will be building mansions.
That was very productive.
Read all you can find here, and as mentioned ask specific questions.

skyhigh

Pete, its your turn to be helpful and productive.....as for me, I'm going to PM shovel for some tips on oven settings and ingredients.

Last edited:

TheSnowman

Become a premium member and there's lots more info than you'll get in the open forums. Might even be tutorials for your questions.

bendeane

I guess I should have given a few people a little more info. I have experience in graphic design on a small scale (brochures, flyers, pamphlets, etc) and am wanting to jump into it on a larger scale (banners, signs, etc). For those of you with actual helpful replies and support, thank you. For those of you deciding to go on living as smart a@%es, please continue, because if nothing else, it's humorous to me.

JR's

I guess I should have given a few people a little more info. I have experience in graphic design on a small scale (brochures, flayers, pamphlets, etc) and am wanting to jump into it on a larger scale (banners, signs, etc). For those of you with actual helpful replies and support, thank you. For those of you deciding to go on living as smart a@%es, please continue, because if nothing else, it's humorous to me.
:thumb: good attitude that will get you a long way on this forum I'm a smart ass too but it deus make the post fun to read. its like an all you can eat buffet, there some thing that are good to look at but you wouldn't dare poot it on your plate. and the stuff you want you put it on your plate and off you go. you don't get upset and yelling at every one thats a smart ass just like you would yell at the cook for Putin broccoli behind the sneeze guard.
now about banners you have less time to read them, then cards an brochure so keep that in mined. and have fun and learn.

JR

skyhigh

Not being a smart ass (seriously) when I ask this question, but I'm baffled.

Ben, what type of sign company would hire you as "Operations Manager", when your only experience is designing "brochures, flyers, pamphlets, etc" , "on a small scale"?

Please don't take offense, but you will look rather foolish ordering supplies, and asking your sales rep for some of those "little metal rings" that go in the corner of your banners?

Good luck with your new position.

Biker Scout

Designing Signs isn't exactly complimentary to standard Graphic Design and Desktop Publishing. Almost two completely different animals. They seem similar, and follow similar rules. But the equipment, software and people operating them are on polar opposites of the Design spectrum. Just be aware of that fact.

Remember the 3 second rule, less is more, and 2 fonts max. Read everything you can about Signs, and ask a lot of questions when you can't find the answers first through the use of "Search". Ignore the jackasses as well, there are many of them in this industry.

Good luck!

gnemmas

My experience in hiring, people from printing field (brochure, flyer, forms) are at a lost when ask to layout (not design) a banner or sign with fewer than 10 words.