• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners on pylon sign

ams

A customer wants two banners (single sided) on his pylon sign cabinet. I already told him this was a bad idea. He wants us to create a pillow case basically to go over the cabinet. It's about 14' Tall X 25' Length and sits 45' in the air.

I was going to lace the grommets together on all sides. However this is a weak point and will cause the grommets to rip out. I am thinking that adding a flat bar against the banner behind the grommets will give it reinforcement from ripping out. The retainer could help hold it as well.

Winds can get up to 60mph because it's in a valley region and way up on a mountain.

Any suggestions?

02.jpg

Andy D

That looks like it could be a retro fit flex face, I don't see retainers....
If it does have retainers I would remove them, use tap screws every foot or so & replace the retainers.

Andy D

If it doesn't have a retainer, I think your idea or having strapping sewn in the hemming before grommets would be okay,
as long as the banner met in the middle of the depth and you laced tightly, so there wasn't a chance of the wind getting behind the banners.
You are leaving the existing faces in for now, correct?
Your customer knows it won't light up, correct?

ams

That is an old photo from a couple years ago of the old banners. They ripped apart after two years. This sign is roughly 52 years old. So it's in poor shape. There are clips in it, which I don't know how to use, however they are damaged and I wouldn't trust using them. I am using a translucent banner, so that it can illuminate, They would never be able to get inside the access panel with a pillow case style. They are using halogens inside.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Are you STILL working this pillow case customer?

On another note, I'm reminded about how flat and ugly our state is when I see pictures of any other area... Looks nice where your at.

Last edited:

Andy D

Sorry Ams, but you have to have some facts wrong... that's clearly a flex face, not a banner & if it has clips, then that backs up the fact that it was a flex face.
Also, unless it's a brand new product, that I have never heard of, there is no such thing as a translucent banner, just banners that are not block out.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just making sure we're on the same page.

mark galoob

A banner up there will work but fade very quickly. Take the money and do the job but make sure you have a good disclaimer.

ams

Sorry Ams, but you have to have some facts wrong... that's clearly a flex face, not a banner & if it has clips, then that backs up the fact that it was a flex face.
Also, unless it's a brand new product, that I have never heard of, there is no such thing as a translucent banner, just banners that are not block out.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just making sure we're on the same page.

https://www.echodgraphics.com/category1.asp?cid=105&iid=12126

Andy D

If you are replacing with a flex face, why don't you replace the clips and stretch the face?
I was shown how to do it 10-15 minutes... it's really not that hard.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Andy, you took some time off so probably don't know about ams ways. He does it his way, not the right way.

ams

If you are replacing with a flex face, why don't you replace the clips and stretch the face?
I was shown how to do it 10-15 minutes... it's really not that hard.

I couldn't find any videos or tutorials on how to do it. Stretching it is what confuses me.

Johnny Best

That cabinet must have been changed over to flex faces because I don’t think they had them in 1966 if it’s 52 years old. Retrofit it to present day flex face hardware if it is not rotted out to bad. Try to sell them a new sign cabinet with new faces.

equippaint

That cabinet must have been changed over to flex faces because I don’t think they had them in 1966 if it’s 52 years old. Retrofit it to present day flex face hardware if it is not rotted out to bad. Try to sell them a new sign cabinet with new faces.
Typically the owners of these old non-franchised hotels are the cheapest of the cheap. I can about guarantee that a new cabinet wont happen, even if the old one fell off. Id even go a step farther and bet that they thought the price of the banner idea was too high.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wish people would tear those places down before it's too late. Once they loose the branding its all downhill from there. Soon as an owner asks for banners over his sign, BOOM demolition notice. Lol

ams

The clips in this sign don't match those in the videos. It's done a different way by inserting a tube through the clip, nothing actually stops it from coming out, it's just pressure holding it. Which is why I don't feel comfortable using them. Average winds are 20 - 25 mph daily, but storm gusts are in the 60 range. This morning when I woke up, I believe I discovered how to do it, I am going to put gorilla tape on both sides of the banner edges, then screw flat bar over it behind the grommets and then lace the grommets together. This way the gorilla tape would reinforce the banner and help prevent any ripping. Then combined with the flatbar keeping it firmly pressured into the cabinet and with no chance of the grommets slipping or breaking the 1/8" cabling (340lb load). Should be good. If it rips, it's going to rip the middle of the banner face.

By the way, this motel is mostly condemned. Caution tape everywhere, only 7 rooms can be rented, the owner sits in one of the rooms and watches TV all day with the door open, curtains are torn, permanent poop stains in the toilet, water stains and mold on the edges of the wall, the office and lobby are condemned, roof is falling down in some areas, it's a disaster. But he has millions of dollars and owns a lot of properties. But refuses to fix or sell any of it.