• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Battery Backups for printers??

SKD937

Morning,

I wanted to reach out and ask if there was anyone out there that is using battery backups for their printers. We've lost power a few times and it always seems to happen over the weekend when no one is around. I don't want the printers sitting without any juice. I'm not looking to run the machines, I just want something so if the power does go the printer can stay powered. Any info on a backup would be awesome!

Asuma01

Unless the power goes out for multiple days most printers shouldn't really be affected. We don't run a battery backup for ours.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The most important thing is surge protection. After that the battery backup is more of a luxury. The only thing I can see happening is you setup the printer to print while you are gone and the power goes out while the head is still out of the docking area. In that case the head could dry up but that is a very specific scenario.

SKD937

Thanks Kelvin,

Yeah that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I think what's happening is the power shuts off and turns right back on. So then the printer turns off, but when the power comes back it doesn't turn on. If we can get it so the backup can keep the printer on until the power comes back, like I said is usually just a minute. Plus at that time its usually just over the weekend so other than cleaning cycles....the printer is just sitting idol. Thanks for your response!

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
We have battery back-ups on our computers and our network. We had our old Roland VersaCAMM printer connected to a battery back-up, but it plugged in to a normal wall outlet. Our HP Latex 360 printers require 220 outlets.

flyplainsdrifta

we keep battery backups on our uv printers in order to keep the ink in the heads so we don't have a mess. but even those have limits on time so as long as power is back up within 3 hours, we are good to go. other than that, those are the only ones we keep on backups. our ecosol, dye sub, and latex, all run on normal power.

SKD937

Awesome!!
Thanks for sending over that link! That's pretty close to the one that we were looking at. Thanks for taking the time to respond to the post

signage

The most important thing to do is first figure out what the printer requires. that 700VA is only 5 amps. Most likely will only supply that for no longer than 20 min max!

ikarasu

We get a lot of power outages here. 3 years ago we had aboard on our fb500 printer die to one....$7000ish to replace. About two weeks.ago we had one and it fried the power supply. About $950 to replace.

We asked about surge protection... And we were told the main issue isn't surges, it's when the printer doesn't get enough voltage that causes the electronics to fry. And only way to fix that was to use a ups. He went into the spec sheet of.the fb500 and linked to the min requirements the flatbed needed in a ups.

Some googling.later... and we found a refurbished for $1600.... I asked if it was really.necessary, and he said $1600 is good... The guy he was at 3 days before us, same printer, same psu fried to.the same surge... Just paid $3000 for a ups for it. Then linked us the cost on repairs if mobo fried... Something like 7k.

Needless to say 1.4k is nothing when we just paid 1k to replace the psu. Just doing a bit more research before pulling the trigger....

If you look in your site preparation guide, they usually.tell you the minimum ups you need from a printer.

Whether a printer needs a ups or a surge works...I don't know. It's easy to say the tech is being over protective when the price is $1400... But they don't sell UPS's, and has no reason to upsell.. so I'm going to take.his word for.it. After all,I didn't even hesitate to spend $200 on a good one for my home PC..

And yes. An online UPS charges the battery and feeds the power to the machine via the battery. So any surges, or power dips and the printer won't even notice since it's now battery fed.

Now if you want / need to spend 2K on a ups is up to you. Most people don't need one. But We get 5-6 power outages every November/Dec. Rest of.the year we get zero... But those 5-6 have cost us close to $8,000 in 4 years.

And it only takes one, with the right conditions to cause you a 10k repair.

Sindex Printing

I currently use APC battery backups for my computers and printers. I lost a copier power supply one year if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost about $4000.

equippaint

We get a lot of power outages here. 3 years ago we had aboard on our fb500 printer die to one....$7000ish to replace. About two weeks.ago we had one and it fried the power supply. About $950 to replace.

We asked about surge protection... And we were told the main issue isn't surges, it's when the printer doesn't get enough voltage that causes the electronics to fry. And only way to fix that was to use a ups. He went into the spec sheet of.the fb500 and linked to the min requirements the flatbed needed in a ups.

Some googling.later... and we found a refurbished for $1600.... I asked if it was really.necessary, and he said $1600 is good... The guy he was at 3 days before us, same printer, same psu fried to.the same surge... Just paid $3000 for a ups for it. Then linked us the cost on repairs if mobo fried... Something like 7k.

Needless to say 1.4k is nothing when we just paid 1k to replace the psu. Just doing a bit more research before pulling the trigger....

If you look in your site preparation guide, they usually.tell you the minimum ups you need from a printer.

Whether a printer needs a ups or a surge works...I don't know. It's easy to say the tech is being over protective when the price is $1400... But they don't sell UPS's, and has no reason to upsell.. so I'm going to take.his word for.it. After all,I didn't even hesitate to spend $200 on a good one for my home PC..

And yes. An online UPS charges the battery and feeds the power to the machine via the battery. So any surges, or power dips and the printer won't even notice since it's now battery fed.

Now if you want / need to spend 2K on a ups is up to you. Most people don't need one. But We get 5-6 power outages every November/Dec. Rest of.the year we get zero... But those 5-6 have cost us close to $8,000 in 4 years.

And it only takes one, with the right conditions to cause you a 10k repair.
Exactly. Surges are rare and youre on your own with them. Low voltage is the real killer on electronics, especially motors. Typically on single phase motors (and other devices) the power company will insure damages caused by voltage. They wont usually cover 3 phase though.
If you have recurring voltage issues, they can put a recorder on your line to verify and try to fix it. It doesnt take much pushing for them to do this and rectify the underlying issue since they are liable for damaged equipment.

netsol

we have been repairing electronic equipment since 1970. i have a batterybackup on almost everything we own. most off the failed main boards and usb port failures would be avoided by the addition of a good battery backup. Eaton makes units for 220v usage. i see them all the time on ebay, if you balk at price

if you have a hefty investment in a color laser, it is not suitable for battety backup protection, but, one of the really heavy duty surge protectors the copier companies insist you use (they supply them with your lease) are the best protection there is. i buy them on ebay as well. use the network and usb protection & i probably will never see you on this site asking if any of the companies offering main board repair are reputable.

ProColorGraphics

I have battery backups on all of mine. I actually have (2) per Epson Surecolor then (1) on my Fuji Acuity. They have been a lifesaver. Even with power surges, or goes off for just long enough to make everything shutoff, it keeps them from shutting off during a print. I know I wouldn't be able to run long on them, but that wasn't my goal.