• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Be safe out there....

TopFliteGraphics

Used to live in Fort Worth about 10 years ago. Had a friend call me yesterday and asked if I heard this report. I said, sounds like an ice storm must have been on an overpass on 35W. He was like, how did you know that?

Sadly, this morning the count is up to 133 vehicles involved and 6 dead. Tragic. I still have some friends out there and I might just check in on them today...

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I feel bad for those people. It is a miracle only 6 people lost their lives, as sad as that is to say. All we could do is say a prayer for those involved.
Heard an interview on WBAP with a guy that was in the initial wreck. He said the road was clear and dry except for that section. He said you couldn't even walk it was so slick.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Seeing video of that was tragic. All you could hear was wreck after wreck. Those 18 wheelers were completely flattinging those cars as they hit. Horrible scene.

Hopefully this doesn't happen again... Snow storm on Monday and Wednesday... hopefully people stay home

Stacey K

I like making signs
Super scary watching those videos. I think holding off on installs is a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

Johnny Best

Stress is high driving icy, snowy, wet rainy roads. Hey Tex, maybe Robert could help you on that and you could get those installs finished up next week.

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
Do they not shut down the highways in Ft. Worth when it ices? I can remember Dallas shutting down 75 in either 99 or 2000.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
No stress this morning...traffic is very light and roads are fine. The truck and bucket fired up just fine this morning so I'm knocking out some small jobs. Will probably be home all next week.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
We had the same icy weather here in Lawton on Wednesday morning. Black ice all over the roads, sidewalks and parking lots. I-44 in Lawton was closed down and traffic diverted for hours because a truck jack-knifed at the Cache Road interchange. There were dozens of crashes all over town. No one killed, but a few people were put in the hospital from things like roll-over wrecks. I almost did the splits when stepping on my front porch to leave for work! I crept through back streets rather than take any main streets just to avoid other vehicles. I didn't take any chances on using I-44.

RaymondLoewy said:
Do they not shut down the highways in Ft. Worth when it ices? I can remember Dallas shutting down 75 in either 99 or 2000.

The freezing rain had only just started falling about 30 minutes before the accident. That part of I-35W (a long bridge over Watauga Road and a railroad track) was one of the first places to cake up with black ice.

Here's another factor that made this accident so much worse: it took place in the tolled express lanes on I-35W. This area of I-35W from downtown Fort Worth up to the US-287 split on the North side of town had been under construction for at least a couple or so years. Once the project was completed drivers in DFW took to the newly re-built highway like they usually do: by driving fast. And when drivers pay a premium to drive in the express lanes they tend to drive even faster. IIRC, the speed limit in the express lanes is 65mph or 70mph while the "free" general purpose lanes are 55mph. At 6:30am this was the start of the morning rush, so lots of people are trying to beat the impending traffic jams.

Once the first couple or so vehicles lost control and crashed out they had nowhere to go. All they could do was directly block the highway since the express lanes are bracketed by concrete Jersey barriers. If you wreck you can't pull off to the shoulder since there are concrete walls in the way. It's a really bad scenario. All of the other cars and trucks in the ensuing pile-up were out of control, driving right into a funnel. Some other roads in Dallas-Fort Worth have tolled express lanes that are only a single lane. That could create possibly even worse pile ups. I'll use some of the tolled express lanes on DFW super highways, but I refuse to use any that are just a single lane. That's just stupid. You pay a premium and then can't pass a slow poke in front of you.

Last edited:

gabagoo

It's unfortunate when areas of the country get freezing temperatures, when it is not the norm. There is no infrastructure in place ( plows, salt trucks, brine trucks) to get the roads to be even driveable. I have seen so many videos of car pileups. Scary stuff for sure...best to stay put.

Baz

Winter tires are mandatory up here in Quebec.
Since many/most of you don't have any on it is especially dangerous.
I wouldn't have them on if i lived in Texas but i would have them living in New York State.

De.signs Nanaimo

This accident was horrible, but it was caused by drivers inexperienced with the conditions, and they did not adjust their driving accordingly. This is not a Texas thing, it`s just human nature. I used to drive an airport shuttle between Banff and Calgary, a cab in Banff, and commuted for two years between Banff and Lake Louise, all during the winter, so driving in those conditions is not only possible, but enjoyable with enough experience.

Don`t get me wrong stopping on ice in any vehicle is next to impossible, these people were not at fault, they were victims of an accident.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We had the same icy weather here in Lawton on Wednesday morning. Black ice all over the roads, sidewalks and parking lots. I-44 in Lawton was closed down and traffic diverted for hours because a truck jack-knifed at the Cache Road interchange. There were dozens of crashes all over town. No one killed, but a few people were put in the hospital from things like roll-over wrecks. I almost did the splits when stepping on my front porch to leave for work! I crept through back streets rather than take any main streets just to avoid other vehicles. I didn't take any chances on using I-44.

The freezing rain had only just started falling about 30 minutes before the accident. That part of I-35W (a long bridge over Watauga Road and a railroad track) was one of the first places to cake up with black ice.

Here's another factor that made this accident so much worse: it took place in the tolled express lanes on I-35W. This area of I-35W from downtown Fort Worth up to the US-287 split on the North side of town had been under construction for at least a couple or so years. Once the project was completed drivers in DFW took to the newly re-built highway like they usually do: by driving fast. And when drivers pay a premium to drive in the express lanes they tend to drive even faster. IIRC, the speed limit in the express lanes is 65mph or 70mph while the "free" general purpose lanes are 55mph. At 6:30am this was the start of the morning rush, so lots of people are trying to beat the impending traffic jams.

Once the first couple or so vehicles lost control and crashed out they had nowhere to go. All they could do was directly block the highway since the express lanes are bracketed by concrete Jersey barriers. If you wreck you can't pull off to the shoulder since there are concrete walls in the way. It's a really bad scenario. All of the other cars and trucks in the ensuing pile-up were out of control, driving right into a funnel. Some other roads in Dallas-Fort Worth have tolled express lanes that are only a single lane. That could create possibly even worse pile ups. I'll use some of the tolled express lanes on DFW super highways, but I refuse to use any that are just a single lane. That's just stupid. You pay a premium and then can't pass a slow poke in front of you.

Those express lanes are 75mph limit... main lanes are 70mph. Add 10 mph to that and you'll get the average speed someone goes.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I hear Houston is supposed to get some snow next week and they are already shutting down the schools for the week?

I can't remember the last time school was closed for more than 2 days for anything that has ever happened here in Omaha. As other's have said, it's all about the infrastructure and the experience of the drivers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is no laughing matter, but with practically all the schools already shut down...... what exactly is getting shut down ??

Val47

probably roads most likely to be a problem - making it difficult to get where your going. That will make things shut down.

The school thing seems to vary from state to state. Kids next door in idaho are all back in school right now. here, k-4 is now in person. My kid goes to a charter school (middle school), and they currently doing hybrid, so at least going to school 2 days a week. Other middle schools still are all distance "learning".

Stacey K

I like making signs
My son goes to UNOH in Ohio and they shut down 2-3 days for a couple inches of snow. He went out driving around and someone almost hit him. I told him it's not like in Wisconsin where most people are used to driving in snow, he must be extremely watchful!

No matter how experienced you are, ice is a different animal.