• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Beachfront house sign before and after...

SignManiac

Made this very simple dimensional sign for a group of homeowners to replace an older wood sign that was falling apart, made by someone else.

Sign is all PVC and the posts are pressure treated 4"x4"'s. I sandblasted the posst after notching the tops to give them a driftwood look with the raised grain. Sign was pretty small, 30" x 30"

Attachments

• Island House.jpg
    Island House.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 149
  • Island House before.jpg
    Island House before.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

J Hill Designs

Very nice --

When I worked at a shop in Tahoe, at the time it was all the rage to have all exposed lumber in the big multi-million $$ houses blasted to expose the grain - ugh never want to relive those days again (all work was done on-site after construction)

JKADesigns

Too modern and cheap for me... would have been nice with just the sign within the old posts. The new one screams "cheap... tacky"... old one screams "permanence.... here a long time"... which do the multimillioniare homeowners want... probably the "permanence"... weeds and shrubbery def. needed to be cleaned up around the old sign though. Font on new sign is more "preppy kiddy" rather than just a simple, clean, permanent font. I wouldn't have sold this to the customer.

letterman7

Looks good to me! Did you prism rout the copy then apply it to the woodgrain, or was that done all at once?

CanuckSigns

Too modern and cheap for me... would have been nice with just the sign within the old posts. The new one screams "cheap... tacky"... old one screams "permanence.... here a long time"... which do the multimillioniare homeowners want... probably the "permanence"... weeds and shrubbery def. needed to be cleaned up around the old sign though. Font on new sign is more "preppy kiddy" rather than just a simple, clean, permanent font. I wouldn't have sold this to the customer.

LOL, I can't tell if this guy is serious or not, isn't this the guy that mows laws and makes signs on the side?

SignManiac

There budget was limited to $1,000.00 and they insisted it last. Between a rock I guess. Hard as I tried to sway them, (committee apparently) they insisted on this version. I just could not sway them. They must be ultra preppy huh? Didn't want to spend the money to get their grass mowed either.

SignManiac

Looks good to me! Did you prism rout the copy then apply it to the woodgrain, or was that done all at once?

Sorry letterman, in answer to your question. I made the letters separate and then applied to the background. It's faster that way when it comes to finishing.

SignManiac

Don't knock it watson :) I just started a sideline lawn mowing company to supplement my sign biz. These are hard times you know!

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Hahahahaha ))))))))))))))))))))) that just cracks me up............ :ROFLMAO:
SignM.......... you should take a lesson or two from this one. He sounds like he really knows what he's talking about. :doh:

I wouldn't have sold this to the customer. That's the one I really get a kick outa. I'd like to see his best work, let alone his $1,000 work.......... :rolleyes:

John L

Really like it bob. Are the letters pocketed in or surface applied? And what glue do you find works best? Great work.

SignManiac

Really like it bob. Are the letters pocketed in or surface applied? And what glue do you find works best? Great work.

John the letters are pocketed. This way I don't have to worry about my guys screwing up the spacing. Light weight letters, GE Silicone II with 1/8" holes in the back of the letter and the hog out area. The silicone ooozes, (sign terminology) into the holes for added holding power. On larger letters, I use 3/16" aluminum studs for peace of mind.

Sideshow

Lawnmower man was prolly looking at the overgrowth around that old sign and got a "woody" thats why he likes it better..

I like the new one. If the customer is happy, who gives a mowers *** what anyone else thinks

JKADesigns

Hey don't knock a different perspective... I was just making my point as to how I would do it... especially after finding out that the budget was $1000... better believe I wouldn't have wasted my time/money on the posts.

Quote it high and stick it in the old frame... maybe stain the old posts if they think they're too "old".

I might mow lawns but I'm smart enough to realize that the old sign shouldn't have been entirely replaced with a cheap version on 4x4 posts...!

People don't realize what they're getting... "newer" is NOT better...

Question to the OP... did you try to sell them something in the old sign frame? Maybe there's some context to the area that I don't know about that warranted putting in new posts... relocating the sign for instance.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sign looks good but
I have to admit, I kinda like the old posts as well.
Without any idea of the surrounding property or existing signage
I'd go with the recommendations of the sign man on site.

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

ProWraps

why knock lawnmower man. i didnt like it either. i just knew better than to say something. this site is feast or famine, kiss *** to the regulars or watch the newbs get their *** kicked.

if someone posts something, and the opinion isnt inline with others, why slam him? i think the font looks like a hideous bevel and emboss effect. cause it does. but thats my opinion. again, i was smart enough not to do what he did, i didnt post it even though i also agreed with many of his other points as well.

JKADesigns

why knock lawnmower man. i didnt like it either. i just knew better than to say something. this site is feast or famine, kiss *** to the regulars or watch the newbs get their *** kicked.

if someone posts something, and the opinion isnt inline with others, why slam him? i think the font looks like a hideous bevel and emboss effect. cause it does. but thats my opinion. again, i was smart enough not to do what he did, i didnt post it even though i also agreed with many of his other points as well.

Well hey is that the reason why everybody's work is going to heck around here... posting on this website and all of the people say "that's cool"... "that's the next big trend"... and dissenting opinions are not allowed... and all of a sudden we're left asking why signs look like **** anymore? The emperor has no clothes my friend... the emperor has no clothes! Just because you've posted on this site and have over 5k posts doesn't make you a "pro". Everybody screws up... the older you get the harder it is to admit it... or so it seems.

JKADesigns

There budget was limited to $1,000.00 and they insisted it last. Between a rock I guess. Hard as I tried to sway them, (committee apparently) they insisted on this version. I just could not sway them. They must be ultra preppy huh? Didn't want to spend the money to get their grass mowed either.

I totally agree with you that it was ultra preppy... unbelievable.

ForgeInc

Not a huge fan of the design either, It's too slick, and the colors a little drab. I definitely would have tried to sell them on more natural materials. Sure, it won't last 1000 years, but many beach houses have that comfortable, weathered, lived in look anyway.

Execution is great though.