• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Become a Blues Guitarist...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

For any of my guitar picking friends... I recently met a man online thru a Skype video call in Toulouse, France. His name is Jim Bruce. He produces a series of blues guitar instructional DVD's. He's a great old guy with a true gift for teaching. If you are interested in learning some advanced blues stuff go to www.play-blues-guitar.eu to see his catalog. I have already learned Doc Watson's Deep River Blues from a free Youtube he posted. I played it for him on Skype and he gave me the ultimate compliment. He said I "nailed Doc's syncopation, which is hard to do". Now I gotta come up with a Blues name for myself, something along the lines of Scar Belly Arlo. Blues names are best if an infirmity is mentioned in them. I'm open to other suggestions!

Mainframe

Super cool Arlo! I just put $600 down on a new Yamaha A3R 2 days ago! (here is a link to the review if you are interested)

http://www.strumviews.com/Yamaha-A-...-guitar-review-SRT-Studio-Response-Technology

I never dreamed I would EVER buy a Yamaha guitar but I played this plugged & unplugged and they did their homework big time on this one. It has the action and feel of an electric and feels like it is playing itself!

I plan to get back into some serious pickin soon! I want to join the Praise & Worship group at church, The Acoustic guitar players change a lot and are usually MIA. I will definitely learn this guys free song and maybe grab the DVD later. I plan to get a new Nashville Tele next (has the center strat pick up)

Thanks for sharing!

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Hi Main... I played bass for 15 years in the praise orchestra at my church. Prior to that I had played guitar my entire life. A few years ago I went back to guitar when I gave the bass role to an eager youngster. I recently acquired a 40th anniversary reissue Ovation Balladeer that is famous for their electric guitar like necks. This past week I had company here from Denver. The guy brought a luthier built Martin style guitar with him. It had a cedar top instead of spruce. The thing had tons and tons of mojo and a sound to die for. I proposed trading the Ovation for it and he accepted.

I took the guitar over to a friend of mine who is regarded as one of the finest fingerpickers in Texas to evaluate it for me. He was incredibly impressed with it. He said it's the best custom built guitar he ever played and asked if he could borrow it when he records his next cd. the luthier who built it has no info online about himself as a builder, but plenty of his academic info. He's an Ivy League professor at Brown University who has been building guitars and mandolins for 40 years. He happened to have a second home in Colorado he was at when my friend bought this guitar he built in 1999. My friend got in touch with him and they arranged to meet so the guy could see the guitar again. He offered to do any needed tune up on it and pronounced it to be healthy. He said after he built this one he kept it as his main player for a number of years before selling it. This thing blows away my Martin D28 Custom. I think this one will be with me to the grave!