• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Becoming a Roland Tech...

LivinLarge

I just can't handle the support fees....anyone know how to become an authorized tech? Heck i don't even need to be authorized...but I do want to be trained as if I was!! LOL!

Roland says they only train authorized dealers???????

Any help??

ova

I've been trying for a couple of years. Yes, you have to be a dealer and that's a whole nother ball of wax.

Our "local Roland Dealer" lost their franchise. I immediately contacted Roland inquiring about being a dealer and going to their University. Bugged them for at least six months Got nothing. No reply whatsoever. One time I called their support line and talked to a tech about a problem. During the conversation I asked about how to be a tech. He gave me a guy's number here in the eastern part of the U.S. Left the guy a message and got nothing from him either.

Found out a couple of months ago a shop about an hour away is now our local dealer and tech. He seems like a nice fellow. Hope his support is good.

Dave

LivinLarge

do you have a list of actual requirements to becoming an authorized dealer? I have searched the roland site but can't locate. it has amazed me how very non helpful the folks that answer the phone over there at corporate are!

strypguy

I know how you feel. I had the greatest tech in the world about year and a half ago and he quit or went elsewhere now the nearest place wants $600 travel fee.
I've been learning on my own. I'm pretty mechanical and also know alot about computer stuff. I've done about everything but replace a head and I might give that a shot if I have to.
Dang machines sure are expensive to fix. I treat mine like its a queen so hopefully it will last a long time without any major breakdowns.

John

mrfern

I purchased a Roland FJ 50 very cheep and plan to convert it to use ECOSOL inks. I am very technical and figured trial an error here may be my best friend. I am going to use Dave at www.solventprinterconversion.com to convert it. I will let you know how it all goes and if I end up turning into a Roland Tech for myself. Wish me luck:supersmilie:

Robert M

Roland tech

It is true, you need to be sent to Roland as an employee of a dealer. Becoming a dealer is expensive, demo equipment, parts, supplies etc. Many dealers are having to lay of techs recently so look for independant tech, they usually charge less. All else fails, get a tech manual and read up on your printer. The folks we see getting in trouble are the one who just start taking things apart (usually with the power still on) and fry boards.
I have a list of techs if anyone needs one, not everywhere but a pretty good selection. And if you need parts check out our site at www.solventinkjet.com
We also supply free tech manuals(I have most, not all) when you buy your parts from us.

LivinLarge

Robert...do you know what a dealer's cost is in sending an employee to tech school??

Heck I would love to buy the parts from you....if I could figure out what I needed without having to spend so much to have it figured out to begin with!!

Thanks for the info as well to everyone

threads1

If you need parts I highly recommend Roberts company. I replaced 3 heads using the manual he sent and it was right on the money. I want to add, his company was the cheapest in the country for the parts I needed. Almost 1/2 from my local reps quote. The manual also covers almost every replacement situation on the machine. (mine is a VP540) I can also say from experience you won't get much (free or discounted) help from Roland or thier Authorized dealers.

Robert M

Parts

LivinLarge

Feel free to call our 800 number before buying any parts. We can discuss your issues and make a suggestion. We would rather sell you the right part the first time around.
Last time I sent a tech to Roland training it was free, I just paid all the travel costs.

graphixlee

I've been trying for a couple of years. Yes, you have to be a dealer and that's a whole nother ball of wax.

Our "local Roland Dealer" lost their franchise. I immediately contacted Roland inquiring about being a dealer and going to their University. Bugged them for at least six months Got nothing. No reply whatsoever. One time I called their support line and talked to a tech about a problem. During the conversation I asked about how to be a tech. He gave me a guy's number here in the eastern part of the U.S. Left the guy a message and got nothing from him either.

Found out a couple of months ago a shop about an hour away is now our local dealer and tech. He seems like a nice fellow. Hope his support is good.

Dave
Dave: This forum is not supposed to be for sales, but I wanted to give you our contact info. Hasco Graphix in Cleveland has been a Roland dealer for 16 years. We do support what we sell. Web-Site is www.hascographix.com My e-mail is graphixlee@msn.com
Pioneer lost the Roland line, and now Proveer is losing it too. Roland is cleaning up their dealer channel. BTW we just installed a new Roland VS-540 in Bridgeport OH

sxl95

As a former Roland tech, to the best of my knowledge, you need to work for an authorized dealer to be able to have technician training.

Robert M

Graphixlee?

Where did you hear Proveer was being dropped by Roland? It was just a few years ago that they were Roland's dearler of choice in most areas.

threeputt

do you have a list of actual requirements to becoming an authorized dealer?

I imagine you'd need somewhere near one million dollars to set up the franchise, buy equipment, media, etc.

Might be a bit too much, if your goal is to save on tech fees. lol.

By the way, what are your fees averaging annually? Can't you just bury it into your Cost of Business?

laserman70

Im a certified technician and a dealer for HP. I do warranty work for HP on all laser printers, none on the large format machines. It is a bunch of BS you have to go through to be a dealer for HP. I dont know whats involved in the Roland program but I am sure you will have to buy so much per year (equipment and parts).
I cannot imagine it being cost effective to go this route.
just my .02 cents

graphixlee

Where did you hear Proveer was being dropped by Roland? It was just a few years ago that they were Roland's dearler of choice in most areas.
I have been told it is OK to go public with this. Proveer headquarters has received a letter advising them that they are being de-authorized. They must have had a cancellation clause in their contract because it is not effective until this Spring, I think April. Their local branches have probably not even been told, but it is a fact.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I'd say...a head for a JV33 is $795 and the new Fellers catalog has a "Triangle" branded head for the JV33 for $2650...hmmm am I missing something.

If you need parts I highly recommend Roberts company. I replaced 3 heads using the manual he sent and it was right on the money. I want to add, his company was the cheapest in the country for the parts I needed. Almost 1/2 from my local reps quote. The manual also covers almost every replacement situation on the machine. (mine is a VP540) I can also say from experience you won't get much (free or discounted) help from Roland or thier Authorized dealers.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd say...a head for a JV33 is $795 and the new Fellers catalog has a "Triangle" branded head for the JV33 for $2650...hmmm am I missing something.

Ah-h-h... yeah. The part that his heads were for a Roland and you quoted a JV33.

otctech

I am a technician at a personalization company and I do all the repairs on our Rolands myself. I've had no training on Rolands, but I do have an associate degree in electrical technology and worked at a plastic container factory for 4 years before I got my current job about a year ago. That being said Ive replaced just about everything you can on a Roland and there really not that difficult. The hardest part is having the troubleshooting skills to figure whats broken from the symptoms. I've recently been thinking about trying to start my own repair business but I am worried I wouldn't have enough clients. How many of you would hire a non-certified tech to work on your equipment even if the price was cheaper?