Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Question Bend acrylic 90 degrees

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by eliseoorellana, Jul 12, 2018.

1. eliseoorellana

eliseoorellana New Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Mundelein, IL
    I bought White Polycarbonate. I thought I would just be able to place vinyl on it and install the face. It turns out that the sign as 90 degrees bend style monument sign.

How do I get translucent substrate with the 90 degree angle on right and left side?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Are you sure that's polycarbonate? Poly won't bend a clean 90° like you show in the photos. Either that isn't polycarbonate, or it's acrylic that's been cut and glued at a 90°. Or it's neither and a different material altogether.

3. eliseoorellana

Sep 18, 2009
    Mundelein, IL
    What is pictured is aluminum panel that placed when the old sign was removed. I need to put in polycarbonate but saw the angle and wondered how that would be installed. Would two pieces of poly and glueing be the best option? I called Wensco, where I bought the polycarbonate and they state the material can be thermoformed which I am researching that now. Heating the polycarbonate and bending to 90 degrees.

4. eliseoorellana

Sep 18, 2009
    Mundelein, IL
    Hello after a few calls and research I figured out how to thermoform the polycarbonite. See picture attached. Used a normal heat gun.

Attached Files:

5. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    You can bend Acrylic easily with a torch. 90 degrees isn't a problem.

6. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Acrylic and polycarbonate will bend very differently. Good luck getting a straight bend on something that wide in polycarb without a heat strip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Agree, you need a heat strip with nighrome wire in a channel and polycarb heated to 300 degrees evenly.
    If you have any cold spots it will not bend evenly. You need to job it out to a professional to get that long bend.
    No way a heat gun will do a nice job on a long bend, thats bad advice and could be costly to try. bend.jpg

8. Pitzu

Pitzu Member

May 2, 2018
    Romania
    To perform a clean 90° angle, just use a v-bit and make a channel along the bend line, as you would do for ACP. It will bend easier and will give you less corner radius. For better strength, you can leave a 1..1.2 mm for bending, but it's not necessary since you can also insert some Super Glue in the channel, after you bend the polycarbonate.
    This way you will also have a perfect bend line and the sheet will not curl because of the heat.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018