• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bend acrylic 90 degrees

eliseoorellana

I bought White Polycarbonate. I thought I would just be able to place vinyl on it and install the face. It turns out that the sign as 90 degrees bend style monument sign.

How do I get translucent substrate with the 90 degree angle on right and left side?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 90deg01.JPG
    90deg01.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 421
  • 90deg02.JPG
    90deg02.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 324

letterman7

Are you sure that's polycarbonate? Poly won't bend a clean 90° like you show in the photos. Either that isn't polycarbonate, or it's acrylic that's been cut and glued at a 90°. Or it's neither and a different material altogether.

eliseoorellana

What is pictured is aluminum panel that placed when the old sign was removed. I need to put in polycarbonate but saw the angle and wondered how that would be installed. Would two pieces of poly and glueing be the best option? I called Wensco, where I bought the polycarbonate and they state the material can be thermoformed which I am researching that now. Heating the polycarbonate and bending to 90 degrees.

eliseoorellana

Hello after a few calls and research I figured out how to thermoform the polycarbonite. See picture attached. Used a normal heat gun.

Attachments

• bended.JPG
    bended.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 337

letterman7

Acrylic and polycarbonate will bend very differently. Good luck getting a straight bend on something that wide in polycarb without a heat strip.

Johnny Best

Agree, you need a heat strip with nighrome wire in a channel and polycarb heated to 300 degrees evenly.
If you have any cold spots it will not bend evenly. You need to job it out to a professional to get that long bend.
No way a heat gun will do a nice job on a long bend, thats bad advice and could be costly to try.
bend.jpg

Pitzu

To perform a clean 90° angle, just use a v-bit and make a channel along the bend line, as you would do for ACP. It will bend easier and will give you less corner radius. For better strength, you can leave a 1..1.2 mm for bending, but it's not necessary since you can also insert some Super Glue in the channel, after you bend the polycarbonate.
This way you will also have a perfect bend line and the sheet will not curl because of the heat.

Last edited: