• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Benefits of S Class over SummaCut?

PrintItBig

Hi,

We're thinking about geting a Summa cutter mostly to cut printed graphics. We only offer print at the moment and this will be our first cutter. Because of this we don't expect volume to be too great initially. Things we plan to print / cut are decals, logos, stickers, floor graphics, window graphics etc

Would the SummaCut meet our needs? What will the S Class do that the SummaCut won't? Is the S Class more accurate? Faster? Cut smaller text? etc

Thanks.

FrankW

Some differences of S-Class to SummaCUT:

The SummaCUT have a 1-line-LCD-Display, the S-Class have a graphical touchscreen, so its - for my opinion - easier to use. With shortcuts you can receive all daily needed functions (knife pressure, speed, origin, user) with one tap directly from the main screen, for which you need to enter menu and scroll on a SummaCut. In addition, the screen on a S-Class offers additional information like ROM-Revision, chosen tool, media size and so on. In the submenus too, you need much more scrolling on a SummaCut than on a S-Class too.

The S-Class has 8 internal user configurations which can be individually named (easily with Summa Cutter Control), the SummaCUT have 4 of them only which are named "1" to "4".

The S-Class have automatic cut off.

The SummaCUT have one X-Motor, the S-Class have two. The differences because of this is more speed, more power for heavy rolls, faster acceleration, additional tracking accurancy.

The basket of a S-Class can be collapsed in a way where it don't disturb anymore. The SummaCut have horizontal guiding rods ... if the basket isn't in the way, then the rods.

For the S-Class, there are a lot of options available which are not available on the SummaCUT (depending on model size): Wireless LAN, Take Up Roller, Media Rack, Double-Head, OPOS CAM and Tangential head.

The S-Class have the cooler Design/more massive appearance (Stand, Rollers etc.).

etc.

PrintItBig

Thanks Frank. Very helpful.

I see the SummaCut and the S Class D model have less cutting force than the T model. How much difference does this make?

If we wanted to cut floor graphics that had been laminated with a anti-scuff lam, would the T model be needed?

Thanks.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I know we have no problem cutting even the thickest laminated floor graphics with our s-160t. Just a great cutter. The tangential head versus a drag knife makes a quite a difference in accuracy and blade life since it actually lifts the blade and turns it to the next direction instead if just dragging it an letting it swivel in a bearing forcibly mailing it change direction. We easily contour cut prints a full ten or more feet long with only a -.010 inset contour cut (with NO bleed printed in) an will end up with zero white showing. At those lengths and on big rolls that sort of accuracy is not going to happen with a drag knife on a friction feed cutter.

Get a s class t..... you will not regret it.

ProColorGraphics

I agree with getting the S Class T series!! I started with the SummaCut and moved up to the S140 T series about 6 months later. Both are good machines, but there is a reason the T series costs twice as much. And in my opinion, MORE than worth it. With the T series, I can easily cut 3 times as fast as the SummaCut with greater accuracy. I can run off a whole 50 yard roll of labels and they will all be correct. I have details on a different thread about that.

Call Summa and talk to Drew. He is very good to work with. You won't regret spending the extra money up front on the T series.

PrintItBig

Thanks for the replies.

Ideally I would love to buy the T model but we're just about to buy a new printer as well and the funds just aren't there.

Currently, cutting isn't a massive part of our workload but we'd like to start offering floor graphics, cut decals, stickers etc.

I'm not too bothered about speed but I do need it to be accurate enough to cut what we need and tough enough to cut through anti scuff laminated prints.

Considering the workload won't be massive initially will the SummaCut model be OK to get us going or are we going to regret it?