• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best all-around vinyl for Versacamm

Mikesbales

I'm pretty new to using my versacamm and I was hoping to get an idea of the best vinyl for printed oval country-code decals (like the ones you see in tourist-y) areas. I've been using Roland 3-mil "the best there is" -Roland dealer, go figure. Anyways, it feels VERY thin and I was hoping to move to a thicker material. What is the best all-around vinyl for small to medium sized stickers?

Thanks in advance!

player

Thin is better.

There are 2 basic types of vinyls. Cast and calendared. Cast is when the vinyls is more or less poured into a mold, while calendared is pulled like toffee into shape. Cast is better, with less shrinkage and usually longer life. The calendared vinyl seems to want to return to the shape before it was stretched into a sheet.

So when they give you thin vinyl it is actually the best you can get. Seems like the thinner it is, the less it shrinks. I have found that vinyl shrinks so much over the years, then it either cracks and splits or comes off the adhesive. So the less it shrinks the better.

There are some really thick decal materials made for things like motocross bikes. They are very thick, stick to anything, but I am not sure about the longevity.

If you want something a little thicker, and cost effective, there are some new high end calendar vinyls that claim long life and are a bit thicker. Oracal and Avery are 2 makers of vinyl that people use.

edit: I see you are using a 3ml vinyl. That is most likely calendared, so it is not the best there is. Oracal 3651 is a great go to calendared vinyl. I like the 2.25 ml 3571 air release from Oracal.